Posted to users@maven.apache.org by co...@runbox.com on 2003/12/18 22:15:02 UTC

Adding Version Numbers To Generated Artifacts?

Hi, I would like to add the version numbers to the generated artifacts (i.e.  jar, war, and ear files).  Also, I would like to have the number formated as follows:

<version-number> = <major>.<minor>.<bug-fix>.<build-number>

For example,  10.2.3.25 or 0.0.1.35 would be valid version numbers for me.  Also, the format of the jar, ear, and war files would be as follows:

<jar-name>-<version-number>.{ jar | ear | war }

The same scheme goes for directories that were generated during the build process.  For example,

classes-<version-number>

This is my first day on the list and my first day really starting to use Maven in our build
process.  Thus, I'm just wanting to get up to speed with the tool after wasting my time
with Anthill for the last few days and I'm hoping that Maven does a better job for me.

Thanks in advance,

-Conrad

Re: Adding Version Numbers To Generated Artifacts?

Posted by "Jefferson K. French" <je...@frenches.org>.
For the file names, you can maven.final.name in the preGoal to
whatever you are building. So you might have something like:

  <preGoal name="jar:jar">
    <j:set var="maven.final.name" value="${pom.artifactId}-${version}"/>
    <ant:echo>Updating snapshot JAR to: ${maven.final.name}</ant:echo>
  </preGoal>

So far I've only done this with jars, but I'd expected it to work for
wars and ears, too. I don't know what directories you want to change,
but maven.build.dir is set to 'target' by default. You could change it
the same way:

    <j:set var="maven.build.dir" value="${maven.build.dir}-${version}"/>

BTW, Anthill has a different purpose than Maven. Anthill schedules and
invokes builds, and handles the SCM interactions. Maven is a more
robust replacement for Ant builds, that provides site generation and
reports out of the box. The two aren't mutually exclusive. I use
Anthill to kick off my Maven builds.

  Jeff

mailto:jeff@frenches.org