Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Kalyanaraman Sivaraman <ka...@gmail.com> on 2020/09/10 15:11:21 UTC

Qpid broker memory increases when a receiver is paused with message pending acks

Given the situation where we have a receiver "Receiver1" acquire 1 message
from a queue "ReceiverQueue" but if the message is not acknowledged and
Receiver1 process is paused using kill -STOP <pidOfReceiver1>.

Any further messages sent to ReceiverQueue is marked as DELETED even though
we have another receiver "Receiver2" properly acquire messages from the
queue and also sends acknowledgements, the broker memory linearly increases
until all the memory in the box is used. Purger cleaning up messages does
not help. Once we kill Receiver1 the broker memory stabilizes.

I have opened up a JIRA issue on this QPID-8462

There has been no response to it as of now.

Has Anyone Seen this behavior?

Re: Qpid broker memory increases when a receiver is paused with message pending acks

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
On 10/09/2020 4:11 pm, Kalyanaraman Sivaraman wrote:
> Given the situation where we have a receiver "Receiver1" acquire 1 message
> from a queue "ReceiverQueue" but if the message is not acknowledged and
> Receiver1 process is paused using kill -STOP <pidOfReceiver1>.
>
> Any further messages sent to ReceiverQueue is marked as DELETED even though
> we have another receiver "Receiver2" properly acquire messages from the
> queue and also sends acknowledgements, the broker memory linearly increases
> until all the memory in the box is used. Purger cleaning up messages does
> not help. Once we kill Receiver1 the broker memory stabilizes.
>
> I have opened up a JIRA issue on this QPID-8462

> There has been no response to it as of now.
>
> Has Anyone Seen this behavior?

Yes, I'm afraid it is known and 'expected' behaviour, based on the way
the queue is implemented. I've commented in more detail on the JIRA.

Re: Qpid broker memory increases when a receiver is paused with message pending acks

Posted by Virgilio Fornazin <vi...@gmail.com>.
this is a well known issue... we had running for almost 8 years with
broker, it never releases cache back to S.O.

it´s related to the vectors<> (C++) used in queue management structures,
they never release back ram to S.O.

c++11 and beyond implemented shrink_to_fit() call to release memory back,
but I don't know if broker is built using C++11 nowadays and call those
metods on queue empty / purges / etc.