Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jeff Mutonho <ej...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/04 13:19:35 UTC

Ladies and Gents...does Continuum actually work?

Question 1
=========
Does continuum actually work with Maven 2?I'm trying to build my m2
project.My top level pom.xml defines the
modules that need to be built.The modules are defined as follows:

   <module>eportal-services</module>
   <module>eportal-messaging</module>
   <module>eportal-messaging-support</module>
   <module>eportal-webservices</module>
   <module>eportal</module>

Each module has its own pom.xml .When I point continuum to my top
level pom.xml  it adds all my modules as projects.My top level
project(the one with the super pom) is also listed amongst the added
projects as shown below :

Mycompany ePortal
ePortal Messaging
ePortal Messaging Support
ePortal Services
ePortal Web Application
ePortal Webservices

"Mycompany ePortal"  is the top level project with the pom that
defines he modules(listed above).The pom.xml in "Mycompany ePortal"
does not have a <build> section...just dependencies , e-mail addresses
, etc.
I'm getting a build errors e-mails for each module saying  saying :

Build Error:
org.apache.maven.continuum.execution.ContinuumBuildExecutorException:
Could not find Maven project descriptor.
	at org.apache.maven.continuum.execution.maven.m2.MavenTwoBuildExecutor.updateProjectFromCheckOut(MavenTwoBuildExecutor.java:108)
	at org.apache.maven.continuum.core.action.UpdateProjectFromWorkingDirectoryContinuumAction.execute(UpdateProjectFromWorkingDirectoryContinuumAction.java:64)
	at org.apache.maven.continuum.buildcontroller.DefaultBuildController.build(DefaultBuildController.java:273)
	at org.apache.maven.continuum.buildcontroller.BuildProjectTaskExecutor.executeTask(BuildProjectTaskExecutor.java:47)
	at org.codehaus.plexus.taskqueue.execution.ThreadedTaskQueueExecutor$ExecutorRunnable.run(ThreadedTaskQueueExecutor.java:103)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

All I want is for Contiuum to work the same way M2 works when I type
"mvn install"  ...i.e realize that I have modules and these modules
need to be built!How hard can this be?
Isn't continuum suppose to use the pom.xml I supplied when adding
projects as the top level pom?My project structure looks like as
follows:

/MyCompanyEportal/pom.xml (this pom has the smc, e-mail
adds,etc,modules definitions)
and its the one i pass onto Continuum to add the maven2
projects.Continuum is using this to checkout the modules from CVS.I
thought it would then start building the modules(just like maven does
when I run "mvn install" from the top level directory
/MyCompanyEportal/)

Then he modules are as follows :

/MyCompanyEportal/eportal-services/pom.xml (build config for eportal-services)
/MyCompanyEportal/eportal-messaging/pom.xml (build config for eportal-messages)
/MyCompanyEportal/eportal-web/pom.xml (build config for eportal-web)

I even made the location of continuum's working directory the same as
the location of my super pom (pom.xml defines the
[...]

/MyCompanyEportal/pom.xml ) , but still "Could not find Maven project
descriptor." keeps popping in my e-mail.I have  removed the
non-recursive argument on all the projects as they appear in
continuum, still no joy.

Question 2
========

My top level pom defines the following modules :

<modules>
   <module>eportal-services</module>
   <module>eportal-messaging</module>
   <module>eportal-messaging-support</module>
   <module>eportal-webservices</module>
   <module>eportal</module>
 </modules>

Besides the failed build i mentioned in my previous post ,Continuum is
checking these out of CVS into a one directory , eg  50 , then it
creates other directories namely 51( containing only  module
eportal-services) , 52 ( containing only module eportal-messaging)
,53(containing only module eportal-messaging-support) ,etc

Why is this happening?

Question 3
========
Should I just dump Continuum and use Cruisecontrol instead?I didnt
experience this much grief with Cruisecontrol , back in the Maven 1
days!

Question 3
========
Am daft?Do I just not get it?Why is the continuum documentation so poor?

Jeff  Mutonho

GoogleTalk : ejbengine
Skype        : ejbengine
Registered Linux user number 366042

Re: Ladies and Gents...does Continuum actually work?

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.

Jeff Mutonho a écrit :
>> As you should know from your Maven 2 experience.. Every module has its
>> own
>> POM and is treated as a separate project by maven..
>> And ofcourse, so does continuum.. Hence the different numbers (one per
>> project)..
>>

> But then why is it checking all the modules into one folder , eg 50
> i.e /50/eportal-services
>    /50/eportal-messaging
>   /50/eportal-web

when continuum checkout the parent project, all subdirectories come with the checkout command

> then goes on to checkout  each module into separate folders  ,eg\
>   /51/eportal-services
>   /52/eportal-messaging
>   /53/eportal-web

then, we checkout all submodules in separate directory, so you can build them independantly.

Emmanuel

Re: Ladies and Gents...does Continuum actually work?

Posted by Jeff Mutonho <ej...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jo Vandermeeren <jo...@gmail.com>.
checks out your code:
Those numbers are the primary keys of your separate projects in the
continuum database..

That's perfectly normal, and you shouldn't be bothered by which directory
name continuum chooses when it checks out your sourcode..
Your only concern is a correct build..

As you should know from your Maven 2 experience.. Every module has its own
POM and is treated as a separate project by maven..
And ofcourse, so does continuum.. Hence the different numbers (one per
project)..

PS. Please post ONE question per mail if you would like your questions to be
found and answered correctly..

Re: Ladies and Gents...does Continuum actually work?

Posted by Jo Vandermeeren <jo...@gmail.com>.
That's standard behaviour i guess ;)

You should try and remove the nonrecursive flag that Continuum enables by
default.
You can find that flag in your project subsection in the continuum webapp,
as someone has sugested earlier.

In order to make continuum work like your normal command-line mvn command,
you could create a schedule that builds the parent module with your favorite
goals,
and remove the children from that schedule, so only the parent build will be
triggered...
You can always build your children manually at any given time..

Take care,
Jo

Posted by Jeff Mutonho <ej...@gmail.com>.
>and is
> the POM correctly in you source control?

Ok , I added the POM to the source control and that did the trick.The
mistake was the idea that Continuum would just use my top level POM
(the one I supply when adding the m2 projects).

Thanks for all your responses guys.

Re: Ladies and Gents...does Continuum actually work?

Posted by Martin Gilday <ma...@imap.cc>.

Posted by Hendrik Busch <he...@lexisnexis.de>.
Hi,

> Question 1
> =========
> Does continuum actually work with Maven 2?

Yes, it does. We've got it up and running here with several multi-module
  projects. And they even work with the "--non-recursive" option. All
modules share a common structure:

Toolbox/
|-- pom.xml
|-- toolbox-ant
|   |-- pom.xml
|   |-- src
|   `-- target
|-- toolbox-codecs
     |-- pom.xml
     |-- src
     `-- target

the top level pom reads

<module>toolbox-ant</module>
<module>toolbox-codecs</module>

The most important thing is to get the VCS paths right in the scm part
of your poms. If your CVS or SVN is not organized like your Maven
project, you might run in difficulties.

You can also enable the -X command line option to see a more detailed
log message. You can specify it where the other options like
--non-recursive are also specified.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Hendrik Busch - Stellv. Leiter der Softwareentwicklung

LexisNexis Deutschland GmbH
http://www.lexisnexis.de
Feldstiege 100
D-48161 Münster
phone +49 (0) 2533-9300-455
fax +49 (0) 02533-9300-50
hendrik.busch@lexisnexis.de

Re: Ladies and Gents...does Continuum actually work?

Posted by Jeff Mutonho <ej...@gmail.com>.
On 7/4/06, Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net> wrote:

> Jeff Mutonho a écrit :
> >> Perhaps your scm url
> >> (scm:cvs:pserver:mutonj:mutonj@165.148.216.14:/var/lib/cvsroot:dev )
> >> is wrong.
> >> Are you sure it isn't
> >> scm:cvs:pserver:mutonj:mutonj@165.148.216.14:/var/lib/cvsroot:dev/MyCompanyPortal
> >> ?
> >
> > Yes I'm sure , because the correct modules are checked out.The
> > checking out is working
>
> it can work too with a wrong url like if you use the parent directory of your project instead of the
> project directory. Do you have your root project undre "50" directory?
>
> How many projects do you have in continuum? normally one by module + one for the root project.
>

> >> Continuum is an open source project. If you consider the documentation
> >> is poor, you can >contribute  to it and provide some patches.
> >
> > With all due respect ,this is a famous response :) .One can only
> > contribute once you have an understanding of what's going on and how
> > something works.Without that understanding ,you cannot contribute.In
> > any case , a project being an open source one , does not necessarily
> > mean it should have poor documentation(think Hibernate , Spring and
> > their success).The reasons for joining the mailing is to try and get
> > the understanding :)
> >

> I'm agree that we need to add more documentation, screenshots... that help users, but I'm generally
> not happy with users that ask for help, we explain to us how to resolve their pb and they promise a
> patch for the doc without to send it.

Point taken :)

Re: Ladies and Gents...does Continuum actually work?

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.

Posted by Jeff Mutonho <ej...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.
Please don't post your message on more than one list.

Jeff Mutonho a écrit :
> Question 1
> =========
> Does continuum actually work with Maven 2?

Yes, it works fine and it is used by lot of user.

> [...]

Are you sure it isn't
scm:cvs:pserver:mutonj:mutonj@165.148.216.14:/var/lib/cvsroot:dev/MyCompanyPortal ?

> Question 2
> ========
>
> My top level pom defines the following modules :
>
> <modules>
>   <module>eportal-services</module>
>   <module>eportal-messaging</module>
>   <module>eportal-messaging-support</module>
>   <module>eportal-webservices</module>
>   <module>eportal</module>
> </modules>
>
> Besides the failed build i mentioned in my previous post ,Continuum is
> checking these out of CVS into a one directory , eg  50 , then it
> creates other directories namely 51( containing only  module
> eportal-services) , 52 ( containing only module eportal-messaging)
> ,53(containing only module eportal-messaging-support) ,etc

Already answered in previous mail.

> Question 3
> ========
> Should I just dump Continuum and use Cruisecontrol instead?I didnt
> experience this much grief with Cruisecontrol , back in the Maven 1
> days!

Continuum works fine with maven2, maven1, ant and shell project, and it is more easy to configure
and to use (it's my opinion :-) )

Posted by Hendrik Busch <he...@lexisnexis.de>.
Hi,