Posted to dev@openjpa.apache.org by Steven Corbett <sc...@au1.ibm.com> on 2006/09/04 07:52:32 UTC

OpenJPA missing extensions

Hi,

I noticed that OpenJPA does not recognize certain extensions documented in
the dev guide. Specifically, the '@ElementColumn', '@ElementEmbeddedColumn'
and '@ElementStrategy' are not recognized. I discovered this while trying
to use the OpenJPA extensions for collections of value/embedded types. A
quick grep through the code base confirmed this.

I'm not sure if the code is incomplete or the dev guide is out-of-date.
Does anyone know which one is the case? I know these features are present
in Kodo, I am just unsure that they were carried over to OpenJPA.

Regards,
Steve

Re: OpenJPA missing extensions

Posted by Marc Prud'hommeaux <mp...@apache.org>.
Steven-

Those were actually some of the mappings that we didn't release to
OpenJPA ... we missed removing their mention in the documentation.
I've updated the doc source to exclude them.

Posted by Marc Prud'hommeaux <mp...@apache.org>.
Steven-

On Sep 6, 2006, at 10:09 PM, Steven Corbett wrote:

> Thanks for the update Marc. I take it that OpenJPA will not have the
> facility to map Collections of value or embedded types in the near
> future
> then?

That is correct ... it is one of the things BEA decided to hold back
from the contribution.

> Some of the extension annotations are still present (i.e.
> @PersistentCollection/@PersistentMap) yet other annotations such as
> @ElementColumn are gone. In fact its still possible to map sets/
> lists using
> @PersistentCollection, however the contents of the collection are
> mapped as
> a BLOB. I'm not sure about the story - have the differences between
> OpenJPA
> and Kodo have been quantified or is it too early to make this
> information
> public?

I don't think there is yet any public list available yet ... I expect
that something will be published around the time that Kodo 4.1 (which
will be based on OpenJPA) ships.

Posted by Steven Corbett <sc...@au1.ibm.com>.