Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Trevor Jenkins <tr...@suneidesis.com> on 2002/01/14 16:16:09 UTC

Re: [FOP] Re: Any real-life business use ?

On Sun, 13 Jan 2002, Patrick Andries <pa...@videotron.ca> wrote:

> I have busy evaluated the FO technology and I would like to hear from
> people that are using it for real-life business needs.
>
> What kind of documents are they using it with ? What volume ? Embedding
> it in servlets ? How do they cope with the "speed" ? How do they justify
> using FO to their bosses ?

I am keeping an eye on FOP for a documentation project I'm working on.
However, it doesn't yet meet the needs of the project.

Project characteristics are delivery of a PDF version of a programming
manual. Software is a commerical API with some 400 functions. each
function has a "man" page to itself. There's also tutorial material
(estimated at 200 pages or so) plus man pages for internal data
structures. This is all marked up according to the DocBook DTD and (for
contractual reasons) will be processed using the associated style sheets
created by Norm Walsh. At the moment this is looking like we have to use
the DSSSL stylesheets to create an RTF intermediary file and then distill
from that.

Personally I'd rather use FOP than go via Distiller. The SVG capabilities
of FOP would be useful to have. Sadly the tests we've done show that 0.20
isn't ready for such a task, either in terms of resources or support for
the latest DocBook XSLT scripts. If the only problem were the time to
process the document then I could live with that; the production of the
PDF will only be undertaken every six months.

Regards, Trevor

British Sign Language is not inarticulate handwaving; it's a living language.
Support the campaign for formal recognition by the British government now!
Details at http://www.fdp.org.uk/ or http://www.bsl-march.co.uk/

--

<>< Re: deemed!