Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Slawek Zachcial <sl...@free.fr> on 2000/02/04 00:11:21 UTC

Javadoc problems : some findings

Hello "ANT-ers" !

I got ANT from http://jakarta.apache.org/from-cvs/jakarta-tools and tried to
use
Javadoc2 task (jakarta-tools_20000203111218.tar.gz).
For me this task does simply noting. So I looked a little bit at it and
that's what
I found:

1. Javadoc2's getFiles function constructs incorrectly "cwd" local variable.
2. File names instead of File objects are put on the list in this function.
3. JavaReader class is not able to skip comments like /** some_comments_here
**/.
4. In Java's run function, InvocationTargetException's target exception can
be
    other than "Exit not allowed" exception, ex:
java.lang.RuntimePermission setContextClassLoader)
5. There are security problems with the usage of com.sun.tools.javadoc.Main
class (as the one above).
    To make it work that's what I added to java.policy:
        permission java.lang.RuntimePermission "setContextClassLoader";
        permission java.util.PropertyPermission "user.language", "write";
6. But still javadoc tries to exit with System.exit which causes the handled
"Exit not allowed" exception.

Maybe the security issues can be resolved by AntSecurityManager ?

I attach modified Javadoc2.java and Java.java. Lines to remove are commented
with '//--' and added lines
have at the end '//++'.

Can anyone look at the changes and incorporate them if it's OK?

Regards,
Slawek

PS. I'm using JDK 1.2.2 and JDK 1.3 beta on Windows NT

Re: Javadoc problems : some findings

Posted by James Duncan Davidson <ja...@eng.sun.com>.
> So let's vote: do you want ANT to be a full blown jakarta project? If
> so, let's make it happen (Arnout: you have karma to update the
> jakarta-site module... do you want to volunteer to do that?)

Ant *is* a full blown project by PMC agreement. I just haven't had the
cycles to make the website updates. If anybody else can do this, please
do so...

.duncan

--
James Davidson                                     duncan@eng.sun.com
Java + XML / Portable Code + Portable Data                 !try; do()

Re: Javadoc problems : some findings

Posted by David Bullock <db...@ardec.com.au>.
For my $0.01 as a non-contributer (so far) to the ANT project, I'd really
encourage you guys to do this...ANT is important enough to be its own project, and
there is next to nothing about it in most search engines.  It deserves its own
place on the site.

Thanks,
David Bullock

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> People,
>
> we _have_ to make Ant a full known project and remove the baby out of
> jakarta-tools or people will continue to patch things that are already
> patched.
>
> The right cvs module is
>
>  jakarta-ant
>
> There you find the latest one.
>
> Note: jar or zip, we need a distribution. I think jars are fine because
> both win32 and unix guys know what it is. Also, it's possible to have a
> jar file work as both container and jar package if we remove the src/
> directory and simply start with org/ so, no biggy there.
>
> Also, we need to upgrade the web site.
>
> So let's vote: do you want ANT to be a full blown jakarta project? If
> so, let's make it happen (Arnout: you have karma to update the
> jakarta-site module... do you want to volunteer to do that?)

> <st...@apache.org>                             Friedrich Nietzsche
>  Come to the first official Apache Software Foundation Conference!

David Bullock
Project Manager - Strategic Applications
dbullock@lisa.com.au

"It's no use saying 'We are doing our best.'  You
have got to succeed in doing what's necessary."
    ...Winston Churchill

LISAcorp
http://www.lisa.com.au/

Adelaide                  Sydney
--------------------      ------------------------
38 Greenhill Rd           Level 3, 228 Pitt Street
Wayville S.A. 5034        Sydney NSW 2000

PH  +61 8 8272 1555       PH  +61 2 9283 0877
FAX +61 8 8271 1199       FAX +61 2 9283 0866
--------------------      ------------------------

Re: Javadoc problems : some findings

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Slawek Zachcial wrote:

> Hello "ANT-ers" !
>
> I got ANT from http://jakarta.apache.org/from-cvs/jakarta-tools and tried to
> use
> Javadoc2 task (jakarta-tools_20000203111218.tar.gz).
> For me this task does simply noting. So I looked a little bit at it and
> that's what
> I found:

People,

we _have_ to make Ant a full known project and remove the baby out of
jakarta-tools or people will continue to patch things that are already
patched.

The right cvs module is

 jakarta-ant

There you find the latest one.

Note: jar or zip, we need a distribution. I think jars are fine because
both win32 and unix guys know what it is. Also, it's possible to have a
jar file work as both container and jar package if we remove the src/
directory and simply start with org/ so, no biggy there.

Also, we need to upgrade the web site.

So let's vote: do you want ANT to be a full blown jakarta project? If
so, let's make it happen (Arnout: you have karma to update the
jakarta-site module... do you want to volunteer to do that?)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.