Posted to users@maven.apache.org by shinsato <ha...@shinsato.com> on 2006/09/29 05:42:00 UTC

Any way to release with snapshot dependency?

We're using the retrotranslator plugin, which unfortunately isn't released
yet.  It's still in the sandbox.  Which breaks the release plugin (which we
discover the day before we have to get our first ever maven executed release
out).

Is there any way around this at all?  I'm a bit new to maven2 still, and
when I tried to do an internal release of retrotranslator, it was an
exercise in frustration.

Hopefully someone knows some possible way around this.  If not, does anyone
have an idea how to get such a release accomplished.  There were snapshot
dependencies as well.  Is this going to require releasing every transitive
dependency too?  Please say there's a short cut around this...

      Thanks in advance,
      Harold Shinsato

Re: Any way to release with snapshot dependency?

Posted by shinsato <ha...@shinsato.com>.
I fully respect the intention here.  This is not something I would want to do
in general.  But retrotranslator itself is not beta software.  I "could"
have rolled our own Ant plugin to use retrotranslator or retroweaver, which
as a new person to maven2 was not going to be that feasible, and would have
likely meant we would have been forced to drop the use of maven2 altogether.
We're months away from our final release date, and we are needing to do an
internal build release for QA, not to the public.

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
On 9/28/06, shinsato <ha...@shinsato.com> wrote:

> We're using the retrotranslator plugin, which unfortunately isn't released
> yet.  It's still in the sandbox.  Which breaks the release plugin (which
> we
> discover the day before we have to get our first ever maven executed
> release
> out).
>
> Is there any way around this at all?  I'm a bit new to maven2 still, and
> when I tried to do an internal release of retrotranslator, it was an
> exercise in frustration.
>
> Hopefully someone knows some possible way around this.  If not, does
> anyone
> have an idea how to get such a release accomplished.  There were snapshot
> dependencies as well.  Is this going to require releasing every transitive
> dependency too?  Please say there's a short cut around this...

The most important question here is not about your dependencies ... it is
about your own desires.  Why would you want to release something of your
own, based on a snapshot dependency, that might be broken if the dependency
developers later release an updated snapshot that is not compatible with
your own product?

The only reasonable alternatives are:

* Convince the developers of the packages you are dependent on to release a
   non-snapshot version of whatever you are depending on, so you can declare
   a dependency on that version.

* Remove the dependency on the snapshot code by providing equivalent
functionality
  in some other manner.

If you wish to choose a different approach, you are guaranteeing that people
like me will *never* *ever* trust any software you produce as being
something that can be depended on, because there is no way *you* can
guarantee that the snapshot based dependencies will not change in
incompatible ways after your release.

Note that this is not an issue specific to Maven -- it's all about how
serious you are about providing a stable (over time) ability to rebuild your
software from its sources.

      Thanks in advance,
>       Harold Shinsato

Craig McClanahan

Re: Any way to release with snapshot dependency?

Posted by shinsato <ha...@shinsato.com>.
Thanks!  I did try to do that for several days until I was able to get some
help from the retrotranslator developers.

It seemed that there were enough dependencies on other sandbox items that I
just couldn't get this approach to work.  So the developer said I needed to
include a pointer to the snapshot plugin repository.  Which I am very eager
to take out when and if retrotranslator is taken out of the sandbox.

Am I needing to trace all the transitive sandbox dependencies and install
them as well?  It seems that plugins get pulled from a different repository
by default, since they do seem to get their own POM entry.

Given the way things work, I probably won't ever point to the snapshot
plugin repository ever again!  I wasn't comfortable with it when the
developer recommended it, and now I know why it's not terribly functional
unless you don't plan to do a release.

       Harold

Posted by dan tran <da...@gmail.com>.