Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Robert Kowalski <ro...@kowalski.gd> on 2015/06/03 03:42:22 UTC

[DISCUSSION] nmo to the ASF

Hi folks,

I wrote nmo (speaks: nemo) as part of COUCHDB-2598 and I would like to
donate nemo - a tool to manage CouchDB clusters officially to the ASF.

Website with a short video demoing the main functionality at [1] and
code at [2] - as I said I wrote it as part of COUCHDB-2598 [3] and
would love to donate it as a next step now that I have something that
can get a review and demoes the basic concept of the cli client.

Features:

 - define cluster inventories and manage the clusters by their name
 - if one or more node(s) is/are down, you have to use --force to join
nodes into a cluster
 - parseable json output with --json as commandline argument
 - next to the cli an api to write own custom scripts, websites, services
 - website with docs for every command (both docs for api, cli
versions of the commands - see right navigation on website [1])
 - manpages
 - 100% test coverage.

Upcoming features:

 - streaming imports from MongoDB and Postgres (the version with JSON
support) into CouchDB

Best,
Robert

[1] http://robertkowalski.github.io/nmo/
[2] https://github.com/robertkowalski/nmo
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-2598

Re: [DISCUSSION] nmo to the ASF

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@apache.org>.
The tool is awesome and I am very much  +1 on accepting it as a donation.

Alex, as Jan already stated. The split from Node.js and IO.js was the best
what could happen to the project. Because Node.js realised that they did
things wrong and the community brought everybody back on a healthy
community track. They are both more than alive and it is a good example for
how strong a community can be.

Sorry for the wall of text. Robert, awesome work. Thanks a lot ;-)

Re: [DISCUSSION] nmo to the ASF

Posted by Robert Kowalski <ro...@kowalski.gd>.
Hi after some vacations!

Just to clarify and to give answers to the questions asked in the
thread and the discussion:

It was never my direct intention to ship nmo with CouchDB in a release
(see initial post). While I am +1 to make it an official tool for
managing clusters (at least for now as we don't have a better
alternative), I really don't have hard feelings to _not_ include it in
an official release - feel free to discuss this, my donation/repo move
is not tied to any decision or opinion regarding that and I am also
happy to _not_ take part in that discussion, as these discussions tend
to be very time consuming and demanding, at least for me. Whatever the
final decision is, I am happy to help in any way once it is decided.

I also think the right way is to add it to the ASF - I am a single
person and CouchDB has some awesome JavaScripters that can help
maintaining it. I built it because I saw that CouchDB was missing such
a tool while I was working on the "install-wizard-ticket". I built it
for the CouchDB project with a limited personal use-case for me.

I can just double Jan's answer to io and node. I also want to add that
I think we, the CouchDB project, can learn a lot from the two projects
and the now forming foundation, as they have a lot more contributors
(339 folks currently - that is a lot for a singe project). They also
have more momentum and companies participating in core development: it
seems they have done at least some things right. In general, not tied
to node/io I can just recommend to everyone to also take a look beyond
CouchDB and to try to identify what other big projects do right or
where they fail, we can learn a lot!

I just wanted to answer the questions/statements from my perspective
as I started the thread and as I see the thread moves to a +1 for
moving robertkowalski/nmo to apache/couchdb-nmo I think I am starting
the process this week.

Best,
Robert

Re: [DISCUSSION] nmo to the ASF

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSSION] nmo to the ASF

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSSION] nmo to the ASF

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSSION] nmo to the ASF

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSSION] nmo to the ASF

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSSION] nmo to the ASF

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSSION] nmo to the ASF

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSSION] nmo to the ASF

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSSION] nmo to the ASF

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 1:40 PM, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On 03 Jun 2015, at 04:38, Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Robert,
>>
>> What's the rationale of your donation?
>
> The benefit then is that we can ship it with CouchDB :)
>
> I’m +1000, I’ve wanted something like this forever.

I'm not sure that we'll have consensus on shipping nodejs tools,
especially with current state of nodejs. No problem if it was made in

Re: [DISCUSSION] nmo to the ASF

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
> On 03 Jun 2015, at 04:38, Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Robert,
>
> What's the rationale of your donation?

The benefit then is that we can ship it with CouchDB :)

I’m +1000, I’ve wanted something like this forever.

> The tool is cool, but why it cannot live in your own repository on
> GitHub which you have under the full control, which doesn't requires
> CLA for the new collaborators, which can use GitHub issues, force
> pushes and more freedom?

> People still have to install it via npm in order to use and they don't
> care much about who owns it, but certainly, filling GH issue is more
> simpler than JIRA one.

If the ASF is painful to work with, we need to fix that, not turn
people and code away.

Best
Jan

Re: [DISCUSSION] nmo to the ASF