Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Martin Grotle Soukup <ma...@gmail.com> on 2013/12/13 11:42:02 UTC

[MATH] Eigen decomposition of matrices consisting of RealFieldElements

Hi,

The linear-package in commons-math contains a class that does an eigen
value decomposition of a RealMatrix. Would there be of interest to add a
similar class doing eigen value decomposition of a matrix consisting of
RealFieldElements?

I am happy to help if this is the case.

Best regards,
Martin Grotle Soukup

Re: [MATH] Eigen decomposition of matrices consisting of RealFieldElements

Posted by Martin Grotle Soukup <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

2013/12/20 Luc Maisonobe <lu...@spaceroots.org>

> Hi all,
>
> Le 19/12/2013 20:52, Ted Dunning a écrit :
> > I had the same question.
> >
> > Presumably, it is a reasonable thing to have in the corner case of
> needing
> > eigenvalues for matrices with extended precision decimal numbers or some
> > such, but I would be very surprised if there measurably non-zero demand
> for
> > such a feature.
> >

> > On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 9:55 AM, Martin Grotle Soukup <
> > martin.grotle.soukup@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Apologies for being impatient, but does someone think this is a good
> idea?
>
> I think it is a good idea. In fact, I even think most of our algorithms
> would be interesting to provided both with primitive doubles and with
> RealFieldElements. I dream of a way to automatically convert from one
> implementation to the other (Apache Commons Nabla is a step in this
> direction, for DerivativeStructure only but it would be worth
> generalizing it).

Indeed, I also think it would be nice to have the algorithms implemented
with RealFieldElements. I will take a further look at nabla.

> As Gilles often say, we are short of manpower, so we don't do this as a
> general move. Ted's remark above is one of our decision driver: if there
> is demand for it, it is worth doing it. So to sum up, the decision is a
> case by case basis.
>
> Going back to this specific case, I guess that if you propose to help on
> this, you have your own use case. Then I would suggest to go for it. You
> could open a JIRA issue for it, try to do the implementation and attach
> your code to the issue so we pick it up there, review it, and include it
> in the library.

OK, I will enhance my implementation, add appropriate unit tests and go
forward with a JIRA issue.

Best regards,
Martin

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <lu...@spaceroots.org>.