Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by "S. Brüseke - proIO GmbH" <s....@proio.com> on 2016/03/11 14:39:15 UTC

user-data/meta-data

Hi to all,

I am testing cloud-init right now and run into a limitation of CS with the provided user-data/meta-data.

As far as docu goes (http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-administration/en/latest/virtual_machines.html#user-data-and-meta-data) CS is providing the following meta-data:
service-offering, availability-zone, local-ipv4, local-hostname, public-ipv4, public-hostname, instance-id

Actually it is providing more:
vm-id (looks like an alias to instance-id), public-keys, cloud-identifier

To get cloud-init to recreate /etc/hosts correctly one more parameter is needed.
cloud-init needs to get the fqdn of the vm via meta-data. The name of the parameter is "hostname", which is providing the fqdn of the vm.

https://github.com/number5/cloud-init/blob/177cf3bb6690f9669a0a560c09ca5abbcbea964a/doc/examples/cloud-config.txt, Line 441 to 445

Does anybody plan to integrate this into CS?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / With kind regards,

Swen

- proIO GmbH -
Geschäftsführer: Swen Brüseke
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Frankfurt am Main

USt-IdNr. DE 267 075 918
Registergericht: Frankfurt am Main - HRB 86239

Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben,
Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser Mail sind nicht gestattet.

If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify
the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail.
Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.

AW: user-data/meta-data

Posted by "S. Brüseke - proIO GmbH" <s....@proio.com>.
Hi Remi,

as far as I understand the documentation correctly cloud-init uses a var called "hostname" (at least in EC2) which contains the full fqdn.
Please take a look at https://github.com/number5/cloud-init/blob/177cf3bb6690f9669a0a560c09ca5abbcbea964a/doc/examples/cloud-config.txt, Line 441 to 445

To me it would make more sense to provide a var called "fqdn" instead, because CoreOS is using this var in the YAML-File. I need to take a look at the cloud-init code of the latest version to confirm.

Could you provide new code for user-data/meta-data?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / With kind regards,

Swen

So you need an extra parameter with name ‘fqdn’. Does that simply also need to contain the name of the vm or really the FQDN? Because I cannot see a FQDN set in the vm object and if there is it would most likely be different per nic. Please let me know.

Regards,
Remi

Re: user-data/meta-data

Posted by Remi Bergsma <RB...@schubergphilis.com>.