Posted to dev@zipkin.apache.org by Zoltán Nagy <ab...@apache.org> on 2018/10/13 23:21:10 UTC

Zipkin site under ASF

Hi again,

It's your friendly neighborhood webadmin!

http://zipkin.incubator.apache.org/ is up, and fed from a special
branch in a git repository (currently with manually uploaded content).
Next steps involve waiting for repos to be moved to Apache, and
automating the build process of the site (essentially `jekyll build`
and `git commit` and `git push`, but with much Ruby environment
setup).

This is a good point to consider the future of the site. One note: as
documented in https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs#nonapache,
all existing projects must host all content managed by the PMC on the
ProjectName.apache.org domain. My reading of that, and the rest of
that page, says we most likely need to say goodbye to zipkin.io, with
the possibility of keeping it alive if it's given special
consideration, and the domain registration is transferred to the ASF.

Re. content, methinks it'd be good practice to include release
information on the site (links to versions, changelogs, that kind of
stuff).

Re. technology, we have two choices.

One: keep the current site, build and maintain automation to generate
the HTML from the MD. This was previously done for us by GitHub Pages.
I estimate maintenance overhead of keeping up with Jekyll releases and
other ecosystem changes at around an hour or two every six months (ie.
not very painful, but non-zero).

Two: migrate to a solution more widely used inside ASF, for example
whatever builds https://tiles.apache.org/index.html. In terms of
effort, I expect the up-front effort won't be offset by saved
maintenance over reasonable time-frames, but this might still be worth
considering because (1) unified design with other ASF projects (2) the
design has room for much better structuring of content with submenus
(3) Maven is better understood in Zipkin than Ruby / Jekyll.

I don't have a significant preference for either. I guess in absence
of strong opinions from you, status quo wins.

(Note also, there's a thing called the ASF CMS, which seems to
completely remove the maintenance burden, but according to
https://www.apache.org/dev/cms.html it's "currently NOT accepting new
projects for the CMS system").

Re: Zipkin site under ASF

Posted by Zoltán Nagy <ab...@apache.org>.
Update: It seems that at least Mahout
(https://builds.apache.org/job/mahout-website/54/console), OpenWhisk
(https://builds.apache.org/job/OpenWhisk-website/138/console), and
AriaTosca (https://builds.apache.org/job/AriaTosca%20Website/46/console)
use Jekyll to build their websites. I can't look at how they're set up
with my current access level, so I'll actually hold off on starting to
build something - ideally it'd be pretty easy to copy-paste most of
the build definition of one of those jobs.

Re: Zipkin site under ASF

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com>.
I did notice this.. thanks for the loop closing!

Re: Zipkin site under ASF

Posted by Zoltán Nagy <ab...@apache.org>.

Re: Zipkin site under ASF

Posted by Zoltán Nagy <ab...@apache.org>.

Re: Zipkin site under ASF

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.

Re: Zipkin site under ASF

Posted by Zoltán Nagy <ab...@apache.org>.

Re: Zipkin site under ASF

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.

Re: Zipkin site under ASF

Posted by Zoltán Nagy <ab...@apache.org>.
> From my understanding, ASF website is just a place host static pages, like `asf-site` branch in website repo. So simply moving the exists generated codes should be good enough.

Good enough for what? To serve the site it is, and this is the current
state of things. Now, what happens if you change the Markdown files?
Nothing - something (ie. a Jenkins job) needs to generate the new HTML
contents. As Mick says:

> Just moving the jekyll building (and commit to branch) to be done by the ASF Jenkins is enough to provide automatic website updates.

However, let me stress that this is not about "just" moving current
tooling, because current tooling does not exist. The HTML was
previously transparently generated by GitHub, and we don't get access
to that generated code. It's a matter of whether we build tooling for
Jekyll (which the current source supports), or we build tooling for
some more widely-used ASF tool where we can copy-paste the job (but
also need to change the source). That said, I see support for keeping
Jekyll (at least for now), so unless the prev. thought causes someone
to change your mind, let's go with that. I'll look into setting up
that automation in my next Zipkin timeslot, hopefully should be this
weekend.

> We have to watch out though with the death to zipkin.io as some docs refer
> to links. ex jclouds.org sill is alive redirecting to the apache site

Right. We can set up redirects, worst case with HTML redirects in
GitHub Pages. Shouldn't be a problem.

> I didn't think that zipkin.io was a problem, as long as it's pointing (or redirecting) to zipkin.apache.org
> My understanding is it's only important that the content is served from ASF servers (and the branding on the website is clearly to Apache).

I'm unsure about the "pointing" part (assuming that means CNAME here).
I've asked about this with detailed scenarios in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-16996?focusedCommentId=16625197&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#comment-16625197,
and was shut down quite fully, with the message "The Foundation
doesn't support serving pages from non-apache.org domains except in
very limited and pre-approved cases.". This to me means that while
probably redirects are fine, CNAMEs are not, but we can of course ask
for clarification on this.

Cheers!

Re: Zipkin site under ASF

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.

Re: Zipkin site under ASF

Posted by 吴晟 Sheng Wu <wu...@foxmail.com>.
From my understanding, ASF website is just a place host static pages, like `asf-site` branch in website repo. So simply moving the exists generated codes should be good enough.

------------------
Sheng Wu
Apache SkyWalking

From:  "adrian.f.cole"<ad...@gmail.com>;
Date:  Mon, Oct 15, 2018 10:37 AM
To:  "dev"<de...@zipkin.apache.org>;

Subject:  Re: Zipkin site under ASF

PS on jekyll vs whatever tiles is using, I'd by default vote jekyll
for now as infra conversion can be a separate task later once we
understand things better. I suspect first step is moving to the step,
not necessarily changing tools unless policy mandates it.

Re: Zipkin site under ASF

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com>.

Re: Zipkin site under ASF

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com>.