Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Simone Cornacchia <se...@yahoo.com> on 2006/06/30 09:51:06 UTC

problems with accented characters in Italian

Hi all

I'm trying to write an Excel sheet with some non-standard (but very
common in Italian) characters in it, such as à, è etc. The XLS file is
created correctly, but instead of the expected charaters I get a weird &#65533;

Here's my code:

... ... ...
workbook = new HSSFWorkbook();
sheet = workbook.createSheet('sample sheet');
row = sheet.createRow(0);
cell = row.createCell(0);
cell.setEncoding(HSSFCell.ENCODING_UTF_16);
cell.setValue('Città');

Quite simple, isn'y it ?
Nevertheless the accented characters get lost when I open the XLS file with Excel.
I use Office Professional Edition 2003, italian version

Any idea would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks in advance !

 Sean "Siúl Ar An Bothar" Crow