Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Shashidhar Rao <ra...@gmail.com> on 2016/11/17 14:51:05 UTC

Data migration from Oracle to Cassandra

Hi,

Has anyone done data migration from Oracle to Cassandra taking care of
Change data capture.

Kindly share the experience about the tools used. Golden Gate, IBM CDC or
any tools.

Recommendation of any Open Source tools would be highly useful. I need to
constantly capture the commits from Oracle to Cassandra.

Regards
shashi

Re: Data migration from Oracle to Cassandra

Posted by Brice Dutheil <br...@gmail.com>.
Hi Shashidhar,

I have done something like that at reasonably high scale, migrating a few
billions of Oracle records to Cassandra.

Basically the process we used is : the app will perform the write in
cassandra for new or updated records, the batch will backfeed old data in
cassandra.

We wrote everything ourselves, at that time. Those migration tool are not
public as they were specific to the business domain. However it is
noteworthy that we spend quite a bit to tweak them a lot (regarding the
concurrency, the volume of writes, the production data, etc.).

We gave with Duy Hai a presentation at the Cassandra summit in 2014
however, due to the short presentation 30 minutes we didn't spoke about the
migration tooling itself.

https://speakerdeck.com/bric3/billion-records-from-sql-to-cassandra-lessons-learned
https://youtu.be/U6oa3Tsdtp4

-- Brice