Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Marcel Meulemans <m....@tkhinnovations.com> on 2018/04/11 19:14:39 UTC

Qpid dispatch unstable inter-router connections

Hi all,

I am running a three node fully connected mesh of dispatch routers with
10000 attached clients and I am seeing some unstable inter-router
connections (I am sending around 1000 message per second through the
network). The inter-router connections fail every so many seconds with the
message: Connection to router-2:55672 failed: amqp:session:invalid-field
sequencing error, expected delivery-id 7, got 6

I am not sure if this is to be expected / unexpected or that I have a
faulty configuration.

The routers are connected as follows: router-0 -> router-1, router-0 ->
router-2, router-1 -> router-2
Attached are my qdrouter.conf (from one of the routers) and a log snippet
from router-0 at debug level from connection drop to connection
re-established to connection drop again.
Versions: qpid-dispatch@1.0.1-rc1, qpid-proton@0.20.0

Hope someone can help.

Cheers,
Marcel

Re: Qpid dispatch unstable inter-router connections

Posted by Matthieu Simonin <ma...@inria.fr>.
Hi Marcel,

Funny coïncidence ;)

I ran also some load tests lately, I haven't seen this behaviour using
the same 3 fully connected nodes topology.

I was using qpid-dispatch@1.0.1 and qpid-proton@0.21

My workload consisted in sending RPCs[1] through the mesh.
- 10K clients / 20 servers
- clients send at 1msg/s that leads to 10K msg/s on the bus for
"fire-and-forget" RPCs and thus 20K msg/s for "request/reply" style RPCs.

Note that the above
 - uses small message size (approx 1KB)
 - the load lasted only 5 min but was repeated with different number of clients.
Thus routers were up for 3 hours.
 - clients connections were balanced on the 3 routers.

I'm afraid I can't help further but I'll be although interested in the
discussion.

Best,

[1]: https://docs.openstack.org/oslo.messaging/latest/

Matthieu

Posted by Marcel Meulemans <m....@tkhinnovations.com>.
On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 11:21 PM, Ganesh Murthy <gm...@redhat.com> wrote:

> > message: Connection to router-2:55672 failed: amqp:session:invalid-field
> > sequencing error, expected delivery-id 7, got 6
> >
> Is it complaining about the same delivery id (7 got 6) every time in the
> sequencing error  ? I am hoping not.

No, the id's are different every time.

Posted by Ganesh Murthy <gm...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Marcel Meulemans <m....@tkhinnovations.com>.
On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 11:47 PM, Ted Ross <tr...@redhat.com> wrote:
> This is a pretty low-level framing issue that definitely should not be
> happening.  Also, your configuration should be fine.  Is there
> anything unusual about the network over which the inter-router
> connections are communicating?

I think not, the routers are all running on separate google compute
engine machines on the same network.

>  Are you sending large messages?

Nope, messages are less than 1K

> It might be difficult, but if you can get a packet capture of an
> inter-router connection during such a failure, that would be very
> helpful.  It looks like the expected delivery-id was bumped
> prematurely or delivery 6 arrived twice.

No problem, attached to the issue below. Actually the capture shows
something interesting. Just before every inter router connection drop
there is a rejected disposition saying:

Condition: qd:forbidden

Sure: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DISPATCH-966

Posted by Ted Ross <tr...@redhat.com>.
Hi Marcel,

This is a pretty low-level framing issue that definitely should not be
happening.  Also, your configuration should be fine.  Is there
anything unusual about the network over which the inter-router
connections are communicating?  Are you sending large messages?

It might be difficult, but if you can get a packet capture of an
inter-router connection during such a failure, that would be very
helpful.  It looks like the expected delivery-id was bumped
prematurely or delivery 6 arrived twice.

It will be easier for us to track this issue if you raise a Jira at
https://issues.apache.org for this problem.

-Ted