Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Bill Bell <bi...@gmail.com> on 2011/03/16 06:02:32 UTC

Stemming question

When I use the Porter Stemmer in Solr, it appears to take works that are
stemmed and replace it with the root work in the index.
I verified this by looking at analysis.jsp.

Is there an option to expand the stemmer to include all combinations of the
word? Like include 's, ly, etc?

Other options besides protection?

Bill

Re: Stemming question

Posted by Markus Jelsma <ma...@openindex.io>.
Hmm, i'm not sure if its supposed to stem that way but if it doesn't and you
insist then you might be able to abuse the PatternReplaceFilterFactory.

--
Markus Jelsma - CTO - Openindex
http://www.linkedin.com/in/markus17

Re: Stemming question

Posted by Ahmet Arslan <io...@yahoo.com>.
> When I use the Porter Stemmer in
> Solr, it appears to take works that are
> stemmed and replace it with the root work in the index.
> I verified this by looking at analysis.jsp.
>
> Is there an option to expand the stemmer to include all
> combinations of the
> word? Like include 's, ly, etc?

So you want expansion stemming (currently not supported ), which expands query and do not require re-indexing. As described here :

http://www.slideshare.net/otisg/finite-state-queries-in-lucene

May be you can extract stemming collisions from your index and use them in a huge synonym.txt file?

> Other options besides protection?

What id protection?