Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Dan Finkelstein <df...@nosimpler.com> on 2002/01/11 18:55:08 UTC

Off-Topic: storefront package

Hi --

Sorry if this is off-topic, but I didn't know where else to turn...

I'm looking for a java-based ecommerce/storefront/shopping cart package to
use as part of a web site.  One which is very customizable, preferably
open-source.  It would be integrated into a Turbine app that I'm
developing.  It doesn't seem like that unique or difficult, so I would have
imagined many possibilities.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dan

Re: Off-Topic: storefront package

Posted by Nathaniel Reed <na...@seastar.jpl.nasa.gov>.
It seems like a lot of e-commerce packages were built in Perl, ASP, PHP, and other
scripting languages, which were either more mature a few years ago or just plain
easier to write small CGI applications than server-side Java.  Also, they would be
more easy to modify and maintain for sys-admin types that run ISP's and web
servers.  A lot of these are available through affordable ISP webhosting packages
which provide web-based "click-and-build" interfaces for setting up shops.   Many
smaller businesses would rather just use one of these user-friendly applications,
or if they need some custom integration they will probably be looking at hooking
into a M$ product on the backend so they frequently use VB, ASP, etc., or
proprietary e-commerce extensions to their accounting/inventory/financial
systems.  The big guys can build their own or use their preferred vendor's tools
rather than build something new.   So there is not much demand for pure Java
off-the-shelf "storefront" apps, especially open source. (have you noticed most
open-source projects focus on infrastructure and tools, not commercial
applications?)

The Sun Pet Store demo is a good example of a storefront in Java.
(http://java.sun.com/blueprints/code/jps13/datasheet.html)

You might consider whether your requirements really warrant the user of Java for
the consumer side of your e-commerce application, and look at XML messaging or
data-based integration methods to hook one of these popular packages into your
Turbine app.

Nate

Dan Finkelstein wrote:

> Hi --
>
> Sorry if this is off-topic, but I didn't know where else to turn...
>
> I'm looking for a java-based ecommerce/storefront/shopping cart package to
> use as part of a web site.  One which is very customizable, preferably
> open-source.  It would be integrated into a Turbine app that I'm
> developing.  It doesn't seem like that unique or difficult, so I would have
> imagined many possibilities.  Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Dan

Nate Reed
Physical Oceanography Distributed Active Archive Center
Jet Propulsion Laboratory (Raytheon)
nate@seanet.jpl.nasa.gov
(626) 744-5528
(626) 744-5506