Posted to users@maven.apache.org by codingplayer <ro...@smartengine.at> on 2011/09/28 18:18:27 UTC

correct section for plugins-definitons

Hi everybody,

I'm currently reworking my master pom to use the <pluginManagement> section
as proposed.

For me it is still unclear which parts of a plugin-definition need to be
placed in which section? (pluginManagment, plugins, reporting)

As i would interpret, the default config for a plugin should be placed into
the <pluginManagement> section, for example with the maven-javadoc-plugin:

1. i would place this under <pluginManagement>:

                <plugin>
                    <version>${javadoc.plugin.version}</version>
                    <configuration>
                        <source>${java.source.version}</source>
                    </configuration>
                    <executions>
                        <execution>
                            <phase>deploy</phase>
                            <goals>
                                <goal>jar</goal>
                            </goals>
                        </execution>
                    </executions>
                </plugin>

in order to automatically create a -javadoc.jar everytime the deploy phase
is executed.

2. in the <plugins> section, i would only place this:

            <plugin>
            </plugin>

to enable the javadoc plugin for my project (the version and configuration
would be taken from the section above).

3. also in the <reporting> section, i would place:

          <plugin>
            <configuration>
              <source>${java.source.version}</source>
              <minmemory>128m</minmemory>
              <maxmemory>512m</maxmemory>
              <quiet>true</quiet>
            </configuration>
          </plugin>

for the site generation.

Is this right?

I also wonder, if those plugins only needed for the site generation, should
be configured in the <pluginManagement> section as well?

for example: the maven-jxr-plugin
          <plugin>
            <artifactId>maven-jxr-plugin</artifactId>
            <version>${jxr.plugin.version}</version>
            <configuration>
              <linkJavadoc>true</linkJavadoc>

            </configuration>
          </plugin>

i would appreciate any help, or a link to the corresponding maven
documentation, since everything i could find was not that helpful.

br
Roman

Re: correct section for plugins-definitons

Posted by codingplayer <ro...@smartengine.at>.
Hi Dennis,

thx for the poiner to the JIRA issue.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
On 2011-09-28 18:18, codingplayer wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm currently reworking my master pom to use the <pluginManagement> section
> as proposed.
>
> For me it is still unclear which parts of a plugin-definition need to be
> placed in which section? (pluginManagment, plugins, reporting)
>
> As i would interpret, the default config for a plugin should be placed into
> the <pluginManagement> section, for example with the maven-javadoc-plugin:
>
> 1. i would place this under <pluginManagement>:
>
>                 <plugin>
>                     <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
>                     <artifactId>maven-javadoc-plugin</artifactId>
>                     <version>${javadoc.plugin.version}</version>
>                     <configuration>
>                         <source>${java.source.version}</source>
>                     </configuration>
>                     <executions>
>                         <execution>
>                             <phase>deploy</phase>
>                             <goals>
>                                 <goal>jar</goal>
>                             </goals>
>                         </execution>
>                     </executions>
>                 </plugin>
>
> in order to automatically create a -javadoc.jar everytime the deploy phase
> is executed.
>
> 2. in the <plugins> section, i would only place this:
>
>             <plugin>
>                 <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
>                 <artifactId>maven-javadoc-plugin</artifactId>
>             </plugin>
>
> to enable the javadoc plugin for my project (the version and configuration
> would be taken from the section above).
>
> 3. also in the <reporting> section, i would place:
>
>           <plugin>
>             <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
>             <artifactId>maven-javadoc-plugin</artifactId>
>             <configuration>
>               <source>${java.source.version}</source>
>               <minmemory>128m</minmemory>
>               <maxmemory>512m</maxmemory>
>               <quiet>true</quiet>
>             </configuration>
>           </plugin>
>
> for the site generation.
>
> Is this right?

That's exactly right!

> I also wonder, if those plugins only needed for the site generation, should
> be configured in the <pluginManagement> section as well?
>
> for example: the maven-jxr-plugin
>           <plugin>
>             <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
>             <artifactId>maven-jxr-plugin</artifactId>
>             <version>${jxr.plugin.version}</version>
>             <configuration>
>               <linkJavadoc>true</linkJavadoc>
>
>             </configuration>
>           </plugin>

It would have been good if this worked in the same way as for build
plugins. Unfortunately it doesn't. See
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MSITE-443 for more info on this.

> i would appreciate any help, or a link to the corresponding maven
> documentation, since everything i could find was not that helpful.
>
> br
> Roman

Dennis Lundberg