Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by vidya <vi...@tcs.com> on 2016/04/20 16:01:50 UTC

Traversal of documents through network

Hi

When i queried a word in solr, documents having that keyword is displayed in
500 documents,lets say. Will all those documents traverse through network ?
Or how it happens ?

Please help me on this.

Re: Re[2]: Traversal of documents through network

Posted by vidya <vi...@tcs.com>.
(1) So,dispalying the content(traversal of documents) depends on my
pagination ?
If i specify all 500 documents to be dispalyed and first 10 on the first
page and remaining on the other, that implies that all documents traverse
through network ?

(2) In my application, front end of UI is developed by one team and back end
of indexing is done by one team. How to implement highlighting feature in
solr. By developing a request handler with highlighting parameters turned on
and with termvector components, can i highlight the term queried ? Or any
special configuration needed ?

Please help me on these two.

Thanks

Re[2]: Traversal of documents through network

Posted by "Alisa Z." <pr...@mail.ru>.
 Well, it took me 7 milliseconds to index a 100MB dataset on a local Solr. So you could assume that for 1 GB it would take 70ms= 0.07s which is still pretty fast.
Yet dealing with network delays is a separate issue.

100 wikipedia article-size documents shouldn't be a big problem.

Re: Traversal of documents through network

Posted by "Alisa Z." <pr...@mail.ru>.
 Viday,

No, not all of those 500 result docs will be brought to your client (browser, etc.)   Only as many documents as fit into the 1st "search result page" will be brought.

There is a notion of "pagination" in Solr (as well as in most search engines). The counts of occurrence might be approximate and anyway you will be displayed only as many documents as specified by your "search result page" size. By default, page size is set to 10 documents, so although you might see something like "response":{"numFound":27,"start":0,"docs"}, only 10 top documents will be displayed.

In Solr, "page" size  is controlled with "start" and "row" parameters ( see https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Pagination+of+Results), so if you want less results to be brought at a time, you can specify your query like this:
q="word"&row=5  - that will show you only top 5 results and only they will "traverse the network" (or being brought from the Solr server to your browser or other client).

If you want to look at another page, you specify
q="word"&row=5&start=5 - this is the 2nd page  of the results

Hope it helps.

--Alisa