Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Frederico Azeiteiro <Fr...@cision.com> on 2010/07/29 19:10:37 UTC

wildcard and proximity searches

Hi,

What approach shoud I use to perform wildcard and proximity searches?

Like: "solr mail*"~10

For getting docs where solr is within 10 words of "mailing" for
instance?

Thanks,

Frederico

RE: wildcard and proximity searches

Posted by Frederico Azeiteiro <Fr...@cision.com>.
Hi Ahmet,

Thank you. I'll be happy to test it if I manage to install it ok.. I'm a
newbie at solr but I'm going to try the instructions in the thread to
load it.

Another doubts I have about wildcard searches:

a) I think wildcard search is by default "case sensitive"? Is there a
way to make case insensitive?

b) I have about 6000 queries to run (could have widlcards, proximity
searches or just normal queries). I discovered that the normal query
type doesn't work with wildcards and so I'm using the "Filter Query" to
query these. Is this field slower? I notice that using this field my
queries are much slower (I have some queries like *word* or *word1* or
*word2* that take about one minute to perform)
Is there a way to optimize these queries (without removing the wildcards
:))?

c)Is there a way to do phrase queries with wildcards? Like "This solr*
mail*"? Because the tests I made, when using quotes I think the
wildcards are ignored.

d)How exactly works the pf (phrase fields) and ps (phrase slop)
parameters and what's the difference for the proximity searches (ex:
"word word2"~20)?

Sorry for the long email and thank you for your help...
Frederico

> What approach shoud I use to perform wildcard and proximity
> searches?
>

> Like: "solr mail*"~10
>

> For getting docs where solr is within 10 words of "mailing"
> for
> instance?

You can do it with the plug-in described here:
It would be great if you test it and give feedback.

Re: wildcard and proximity searches

Posted by Ahmet Arslan <io...@yahoo.com>.