Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Chris Collins <ch...@me.com> on 2011/12/06 06:48:57 UTC

smarter css

So when it comes to css3 is it really so ugly?  Ok perhaps its just things like gradients:

http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/graphics/cssgradientbackgroundmaker/default.html

So in the microsoft example above for getting a gradient background you have to use different css properties per browser.  So say I was trying to add browser specific css to my layout component what would people suggest as the best strategy?

Random thoughts:

- You can't tml-ify css, if you could then you could condition parts of it  by browser right?
- Would you create a series of browser specific css assets then build inject them directly into the layout page?

Clearly I don't have a clue :-}

again sorry for dumb questions.

Re: smarter css

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
I'm looking forward to integrating these!  I think using the raw
processor may fit into Tapestry's overall lifecycle best.

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 10:48 AM, Alex Objelean <al...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just a small note:
>
> you can reuse the provided processors (like LessCssProcessor,
> CoffeeScriptProcessor, SassCssProcessor, etc)
> without being forced to use a filter or a maven plugin. The processors
> interface is pretty simple and can be used like this:
>
> new CoffeeScriptProcessor().process(Reader reader, Writer writer);
>
> Similar usage is available for other processors and there are
> http://code.google.com/p/wro4j/wiki/AvailableProcessors plenty of them .
>
> Cheers,
> Alex

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: smarter css

Re: smarter css

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Didn't describe things quite right; wro4j works as a filter at
runtime, but still assumes a static description of what needs
combining/transforming/compiling/etc.  In a Tapestry application, that
all needs to be figured out dynamically, on the fly, based on the
what's in the framework, application, and 3rd party libraries.

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 2:33 PM, Alex Objelean <al...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually it is geared for runtime solution as well. There is no difference in
> using less or coffeeScript (or sass, or any other available processors) for
> a runtime or build time solution.
>
> Cheers,
> Alex

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: smarter css

Re: smarter css

Posted by Andreas Fink <fi...@googlemail.com>.
Sorry for my hasty and not well formulated rant.

I was just thinking about the announcment of the Rails-team to switch to Coffeescript and what an impact that has on developers and existing apps.

There is always that compromise between flexibility and high-level tools but as the server side of Tapestry focusses so much on flexibilty/modularity i think it would make sense to follow that route also for the browser side.

All this highly sofisticated tools (eg: sass, activerecord, hibernate, ...) cover maybe 90% of the use cases but become a major road block if they cannot easily be circumvented for the other 10%.

Cheers,
Andi.

Re: smarter css

Posted by Chris Collins <ch...@me.com>.

Re: smarter css

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
That's a debate; for instance, tapestry-core could use SCSS and
CoffeeScript, but use build-time tools to convert those into standard
CSS and JS.  Less convenient for use T5 developers though.

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 5:08 PM, Lenny Primak <lp...@hope.nyc.ny.us> wrote:
> but doesn't it kinda have to be in the core so the core CSS can use it?
>
> On Dec 7, 2011, at 7:57 PM, Andreas Fink wrote:
>
>> Please do not include this kind of technologies in the core.
>> It took us long enough to get rid of prototype.js.
>> Sure, it can be overridden but why not just offer it as part of an external CoolKidsJavascriptStack.
>>
>> Just my 2c.
>> Andi.

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry