Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Eric Plowe <er...@gmail.com> on 2014/05/27 19:57:53 UTC

Suggestions for upgrading cassandra

i have a cluster that is running 1.2.6. I'd like to upgrade that cluster to
2.0.7

Any suggestions/tips that would make the upgrade process smooth?

Re: Suggestions for upgrading cassandra

Posted by Patricia Gorla <pa...@thelastpickle.com>.
I'd review the CHANGES.txt to see what has changed and the NEWS.txt to see
what you need to do before upgrading (config changes, data storage changes,
etc).

Generally:

- Determine what version you are upgrading to, and why
- Snapshot the data across all nodes
- Upgrade the nodes one at a time (rolling upgrade)

For a change this major, you should set up a test cluster and see if there
are any changes after the upgrade.

--
Patricia Gorla
@patriciagorla

Consultant
Apache Cassandra Consulting
http://www.thelastpickle.com <http://thelastpickle.com>

Re: Suggestions for upgrading cassandra

Posted by Paulo Ricardo Motta Gomes <pa...@chaordicsystems.com>.
I've written a bit about upgrading from 1.1 to 1.2, non-vnodes:
http://monkeys.chaordic.com.br/operation/zero-downtime-cassandra-upgrade/

Some tips may be valid for a more recent upgrade, but I'm sure the
community has more specific tips regarding the upgrade from 1.2 to 2.0.

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 2:57 PM, Eric Plowe <er...@gmail.com> wrote:

> i have a cluster that is running 1.2.6. I'd like to upgrade that cluster
> to 2.0.7
>
> Any suggestions/tips that would make the upgrade process smooth?

--
*Paulo Motta*

Chaordic | *Platform*
*www.chaordic.com.br <http://www.chaordic.com.br/>*
+55 48 3232.3200

Re: Suggestions for upgrading cassandra

Posted by Eric Plowe <er...@gmail.com>.
Thanks guys!

Yea I am going to do this on a test environment that simulates our
production environment. I was just looking for any potential gotchas, etc.

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.
On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 1:24 PM, Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 10:57 AM, Eric Plowe <er...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> i have a cluster that is running 1.2.6. I'd like to upgrade that cluster
>> to 2.0.7
>>
>> Any suggestions/tips that would make the upgrade process smooth?
>>

> As indicated in NOTES.txt, upgrades to 2.0.x must pass through at least
> (iirc?) 1.2.9.

s/NOTES/NEWS/

=Rob

Re: Suggestions for upgrading cassandra