Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Andy Smith <a....@ukgrid.net> on 2008/07/17 12:52:08 UTC

collecting mail for sa-learn, how to?

Hi,
for a mail server running email for multiple domains what is the typical/recommended way to collect emails which arent detected as spam to be processed by sa-learn? Users are downloading mail via POP3, so once a users sees a mail and decides that it is in fact spam its already been removed from the mail server. If the user forwards the mail to a special mailbox for processing then the mail is obviously now different from the original spam, the user is the sender etc. Will sa-learn still work using this method? and if not what else can I implement that would work?

thanks for any comments, Andy :P

Re: collecting mail for sa-learn, how to?

Posted by Andy Smith <a....@ukgrid.net>.
Hi All,

  thanks very much for all the replies and discussion around my original
post, and appologies for not replying
more promptly, Ive only just managed to successfully subscribe to the list
and managed to confuse myself looking
at the forum archives (I think there had been some delays to when my posts
appeared blah blah blah :P )

Anyway, thanks for clarifying the requirements of sa-learn.
I think the best options sounds like it will be this:

This is what I do:
Forwarding the unrecognised message to an account which will process the
message through sal-wrapper.pl. You will find further informations here:
https://po2.uni-stuttgart.de/~rusjako/sal-wrapper

Thanks to Stefan for this suggestion.

Reason being it doesnt impose the need for an IMAP client on the users and I
think its the simplest
option from the point of view of the end users, ie "if you recieve spam and
wish to report it please
simply forward the email and it will be analysed by the spam filter
software" Sounds good to me :P
Ive downloaded this and and will do some eval on my systems.

thanks alot!! Andy.

Re: collecting mail for sa-learn, how to?

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.
On Thu, 2008-07-17 at 13:39 +0200, Andy Smith wrote:
> Soz, I just saw that. Until today my attempts to mail the subscibe address
> on this list were'nt resulting in an autoreply etc.
> I only recieved confirmation I was subscribed to this list some 20 mins ago,
> im taking a look now at the replys

You can find a wealth of funky, almost-usable archives here:

Lots of bling. Less usability, alas.  Enjoy

  guenther

Re: collecting mail for sa-learn, how to?