Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by "Racine, Michel" <mi...@hp.com> on 2002/07/16 02:20:01 UTC

Rational Rose memory warnings about Xalan

Hi.

We are using Xerces and Xalan in our product here at HP in Colorado Springs. And we did a Rational Rose Purify run over the server executable that uses both those Apache products. The report coming out of the Purify run (which tries to identify memory problems like leaks or other memory misuse) contains a lot, around 55000 error/warnings of this type : "[E] FMM: Freeing mismatched memory in free". These are everywhere, but I strongly suspect that Xalan is alright, and it's Purify that's confused.

Rational Rose Purify defines the error to be the following:

Begin copied definition -->
"An FMM message indicates that the program is trying to free memory with the wrong API call for that type of memory.

Purify reports a FMM message when the program allocates memory from one family of APIs and then deallocates the memory from a mismatched family. For example, a FMM message can occur when you use new to allocate memory and free to free the memory. You can also get this message when you use one heap to allocate memory and a wrong heap to deallocate the memory.

Note:
Sometimes mismatched frees work without crashing. However, you should watch out for changes in the implementation of any of the allocation modules (for example, between compilers or versions of operating systems) that might cause problems."
<-- End copied definition

I have the full purify report that I can make available to anyone who would like to look at it. I am just looking for a confirmation that everything is alright, as the system is working perfectly fine and never crashes, and doesn't use memory in bad ways.

I can also contact by phone somebody if you have questions.

Thanks.

Michel Racine
Computer system analyst
HP Storage Works