Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Jarmo Doc <ja...@hotmail.com> on 2006/11/02 21:28:28 UTC

Backwards compatibility, versioning

I'm having an issue with enhancing a Web Service operation to return some
additional information.  The problem is that back-level clients, created
from the prior version of WSDL, fail (with XML parsing exceptions during
deserialization) when the unexpected XML elements are sent to them.

Is there any way to tell an Axis client stub to ignore unexpected XML
elements?

Is there, generally, a good way to deal with this problem in Web Services?
Beyond having mutliple web services (each running a different version of the
service) and without requiring all clients to re-build with the latest WSDL.

Have searched the newgroup for items on this topic without getting a
satisfactory solution.  So am asking again in case things have changed.

Thanks.

Re: Backwards compatibility, versioning

Posted by Jarmo Doc <ja...@hotmail.com>.
It's an additional element in a returned complex type.  New operations
appear to be safe (and the client cannot call them, of course), as do new
complex types (as long as they're not serialized to the client).

Essentially anything that is serialized to the client that it did not know
about beforehand is a problem, yielding XML deserialization exceptions.
Seems unreasonable that the server should know every client's version
compatibility and somehow deliberately not serialize 'new' elements.

Axis version is 1.3 final.

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Jarmo-
do you see this as an attribute or independent element?
In either case its a good idea to know the version of Axis being supported
M-
This e-mail communication and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information for the use of the
designated recipients named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received
this communication in error and that any review, disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of it or its
contents