Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Pascal Kesseli <pa...@hotmail.com> on 2010/01/07 02:55:07 UTC

Operation without input parameter

Hi everyone

Just a second ago, I tried creating a client interface using Axis2 and the
following WSDL:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<wsdl:definitions name="emc-remote"
	targetNamespace="http://www.example.org/emc-remote/"
	xmlns:emc="http://www.example.org/emc-remote/"
	xmlns:soap="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/soap/">
	<wsdl:types>

targetNamespace="http://www.example.org/emc-remote/">
			<xsd:complexType name="MeterType">
				<xsd:sequence>
					<xsd:element name="id"
type="xsd:int" />
					<xsd:element name="name"
type="xsd:string" />
				</xsd:sequence>
			</xsd:complexType>
			<xsd:complexType name="Meter">
				<xsd:sequence>
					<xsd:element name="id"
type="xsd:int" />
					<xsd:element name="name"
type="xsd:string" />
					<xsd:element name="address"
type="xsd:string" />
					<xsd:element name="meterType"
type="emc:MeterType" />
				</xsd:sequence>
			</xsd:complexType>
			<xsd:complexType name="MeteringPoint">
				<xsd:sequence>
					<xsd:element name="id"
type="xsd:int" />
					<xsd:element name="name"
type="xsd:string" />
					<xsd:element
name="multiplicatorFactor" type="xsd:double" />
					<xsd:element name="meters"
type="emc:Meter" minOccurs="0"
						maxOccurs="unbounded" />
				</xsd:sequence>
			</xsd:complexType>
			<xsd:element name="sayHelloRequest"
type="xsd:string" />
			<xsd:element name="sayHelloResponse"
type="xsd:string" />
			<xsd:element name="getMeteringPointsResponse">
				<xsd:complexType>
					<xsd:sequence>
						<xsd:element name="item"
type="emc:MeteringPoint"
							minOccurs="0"
maxOccurs="unbounded" />
					</xsd:sequence>
				</xsd:complexType>
			</xsd:element>
		</xsd:schema>
	</wsdl:types>
	<wsdl:message name="sayHelloRequest">
		<wsdl:part name="name" element="emc:sayHelloRequest" />
	</wsdl:message>
	<wsdl:message name="sayHelloResponse">
		<wsdl:part name="message" element="emc:sayHelloResponse" />
	</wsdl:message>
	<wsdl:message name="getMeteringPointsRequest" />
	<wsdl:message name="getMeteringPointsResponse">
		<wsdl:part name="metering_points"
element="emc:getMeteringPointsResponse" />
	</wsdl:message>
	<wsdl:portType name="remote">
		<wsdl:operation name="sayHello">
			<wsdl:input message="emc:sayHelloRequest" />
			<wsdl:output message="emc:sayHelloResponse" />
		</wsdl:operation>
		<wsdl:operation name="getMeteringPoints">
			<wsdl:input message="emc:getMeteringPointsRequest"
/>
			<wsdl:output message="emc:getMeteringPointsResponse"
/>
		</wsdl:operation>
	</wsdl:portType>
	<wsdl:binding name="remote" type="emc:remote">
		<soap:binding style="document"
			transport="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/http" />
		<wsdl:operation name="getMeteringPoints">
			<soap:operation
soapAction="http://www.example.org/emc-remote/getMeteringPoints" />
			<wsdl:input>
				<soap:body use="literal" />
			</wsdl:input>
			<wsdl:output>
				<soap:body use="literal" />
			</wsdl:output>
		</wsdl:operation>
		<wsdl:operation name="sayHello">
			<soap:operation
soapAction="http://www.example.org/emc-remote/sayHello" />
			<wsdl:input>
				<soap:body use="literal" />
			</wsdl:input>
			<wsdl:output>
				<soap:body use="literal" />
			</wsdl:output>
		</wsdl:operation>
	</wsdl:binding>
	<wsdl:service name="emc-remote">
		<wsdl:port name="port" binding="emc:remote">
			<soap:address
location="http://localhost/emc-remote.exe" />
		</wsdl:port>
	</wsdl:service>
</wsdl:definitions>

The important part represents the getMeteringPointsRequest, as it does not
take any arguments. Consequently, I would expect Axis2 to generate a class
GetMeteringPointsRequest without any constructor arguments. Unfortunately,
it turns out that Axis does not generate any such class and the stub method
does not take any parameters at all, so I can use the generated interface
like this:

            EmcRemoteStub server = new EmcRemoteStub();
            SayHelloRequest sayHelloRequest = new SayHelloRequest();
            sayHelloRequest.setSayHelloRequest("Tom");

System.out.println(server.sayHello(sayHelloRequest).getSayHelloResponse());
            System.out.println(server.getMeteringPoints()); // Very
convenient, but probably wrong...

While I would find that extraordinarily convenient, I just don't think
that's how Axis works. The following exception thrown when I try to execute
the above code assures me on this suspicion:

Hello Tom!
org.apache.axis2.AxisFault: No XML element tag
	at
org.apache.axis2.util.Utils.getInboundFaultFromMessageContext(Utils.java:435
)
	at
org.apache.axis2.description.OutInAxisOperationClient.handleResponse(OutInAx
isOperation.java:371)
	at
org.apache.axis2.description.OutInAxisOperationClient.send(OutInAxisOperatio
n.java:417)
	at
org.apache.axis2.description.OutInAxisOperationClient.executeImpl(OutInAxisO
peration.java:229)
	at
org.apache.axis2.client.OperationClient.execute(OperationClient.java:165)
	at
org.example.www.emc_remote.EmcRemoteStub.getMeteringPoints(EmcRemoteStub.jav
a:309)
	at org.example.Runner.main(Runner.java:13)

My question to you would thus be: How to correctly implement a web service
without any input parameters? And, of course, how to describe such a service
in WSDL?

Thanks for any help on this issue and best regards
Pascal Kesseli

Re: Operation without input parameter

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 7:25 AM, Pascal Kesseli
<pa...@hotmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
>
>            EmcRemoteStub server = new EmcRemoteStub();
>            SayHelloRequest sayHelloRequest = new SayHelloRequest();
>            sayHelloRequest.setSayHelloRequest("Tom");
>
> System.out.println(server.sayHello(sayHelloRequest).getSayHelloResponse());
>            System.out.println(server.getMeteringPoints()); // Very
> convenient, but probably wrong...
>
> While I would find that extraordinarily convenient, I just don't think
> that's how Axis works. The following exception thrown when I try to execute
> the above code assures me on this suspicion:
>
> Hello Tom!
> org.apache.axis2.AxisFault: No XML element tag
>        at
>
> org.apache.axis2.util.Utils.getInboundFaultFromMessageContext(Utils.java:435
> )
>        at
>
> org.apache.axis2.description.OutInAxisOperationClient.handleResponse(OutInAx

I can't see any problem with what you do. use tcpmon[1] to check the request
and response.

thanks,
Amila.

[1] http://ws.apache.org/commons/tcpmon/