Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by kf...@collab.net on 2004/02/27 19:13:03 UTC

Re: checkout and "Working copy not locked" errors

greg Landrum <gr...@mindspring.com> writes:
> So now, the problem.  First I checkout the base directory:
> glandrum: /tmp/co > svn checkout -N svn://localhost/tmprepos/baseproj baseproj
> A  baseproj/base1
> A  baseproj/base2
> Checked out revision 1.
>
> Everything ok so far... but now try checking out a subdirectory:
> glandrum: /tmp/co > svn checkout svn://localhost/tmprepos/baseproj/subd1 baseproj/subd1
> svn: Working copy 'baseproj/subd1' not locked
>
> whoops.  Maybe changing into the directory helps?
> glandrum: /tmp/co > cd baseproj/
> glandrum: /tmp/co/baseproj > svn checkout svn://localhost/tmprepos/baseproj/subd1 subd1
> svn: Working copy 'subd1' not locked
>
> Nope... still not working.

Oh, dear.  Yes, this is probably an oversight on our part.

There are two things going on here:

When you check out a working copy FOO with -N, and then check out a
subdir SUB into it (i.e., SUB is a subdir of FOO both in the
repository and will be in the working copy), SUB will still not be
linked into FOO as a child entry as it would if you had just done a
regular recursive checkout of FOO.

Independently of that, I think there might be bugs in Subversion's
handling of multi-component checkout targets, for example

   $ svn co http://.../baseproj/subd1 independent_subd1

would work just fine, and

   $ svn co http://.../baseproj/subd1 non_wc_dir/subd1

might also work fine, but your example of

   $ svn co http://.../baseproj/subd1 baseproj/subd1

confuses svn, which thinks that baseproj should already have 'subd1',
but of course it doesn't because of the -N...

Heh.  That was a bit stream-of-consciousness.

Anyway, can you file a bug report with your recipe, and link to this
mail thread?  I can't promise we'll fix this soon, but we shouldn't
forget about it.

Thanks,
-Karl

Re: checkout and "Working copy not locked" errors

Posted by greg Landrum <gr...@mindspring.com>.
At 12:20 PM 2/27/2004, kfogel@collab.net wrote:
>greg Landrum <gr...@mindspring.com> writes:
>> So am I correct in assuming that there's not really a workaround for
>> this problem at the moment and I'm just going to have to checkout
>> the entire repository?
>
>That I can't answer, because I don't really know your constraints.
>All I know is, the method you _were_ using is not going to work right
>now.  There might be some other method that uses subdirectory
>checkouts that would work.  For example
>
>  $ svn co -N http://.../baseproj baseproj
>  $ svn co http://.../baseproj/subdir ./tmp_subdir
>  $ mv tmp_subdir baseproj/subdir
>
>Or something like that.  Be creative :-).

A coworker, who is more creative than I, came up with:
svn co svn://.../baseproj/subdir baseproj/subdir
svn co -N svn://.../baseproj/subdir baseproj

This fulfills the requirements of allowing us to do minimal pulls for regression testing.  It would still be nice to have the bug fixed, but the fire is out for the moment.

Thanks,
-greg

Re: checkout and "Working copy not locked" errors

Posted by kf...@collab.net.

Posted by greg Landrum <gr...@mindspring.com>.
At 11:13 AM 2/27/2004, kfogel@collab.net wrote:

>Anyway, can you file a bug report with your recipe, and link to this
>mail thread?  I can't promise we'll fix this soon, but we shouldn't
>forget about it.

Bug report filed (the issue number is 1768).