Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Jean-frederic Clere <jf...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/04 10:46:40 UTC

enhanced/classlib/trunk/depends

Hi,

There are a lot of objects in this repos directory, do we really need them?

Cheers

Jean-Frederic

Re: enhanced/classlib/trunk/depends

Posted by Jean-frederic Clere <jf...@gmail.com>.
Mark Hindess wrote:

>On 3/7/06, Jean-frederic Clere <jf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Well I am complaining the svn contains binary files that could be
>>"easly" rebuild... Should I propose an additional ant target to build
>>those components?
>>

>>Done... (for Linux for the moment), please comment
>>

>Would you intend for this to be executed as part of the build - e.g.
>replacing the current zlib unzip step with a download and unzip step?
>Or as a once only pre-requisite step?

My idea is replacing the unzip steps... And I am thinking in other
platforms then i386.

>I'd be a little concerned at the icu "sudo make install" step.  You
>might be overwriting someone's existing install which they might not
>be expecting.  My Debian install already has icu in /usr and adding
>different version in /usr/local is just
>going to lead to problems since other applications will be expecting
>the version in /usr but might - due to /usr/local/bin/icu-config being
>first in the path - get the harmony installed version.

Agreed, sudo is just a quick hack, there are 2 options:
- check for existing and if not found build and install it.
- install in a local directory (like $HOME/install).

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Jean-frederic Clere <jf...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Jean-frederic Clere wrote:
> Tim Ellison wrote:
>
>> Jean-frederic Clere wrote:

>>> Yep... I would prefer to classlib depends directory a readme that tells
>>> classlib depends on:
>>> CU4C version 3.4 (how to get and install it).
>>> ICU4JNI
>>> FDLIBM
>>> zlib
>>>

>> Like this?
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/incubator/harmony/enhanced/classlib/trunk/depends/oss/README.txt?view=markup
>>

> Well I am complaining the svn contains binary files that could be
> "easly" rebuild... Should I propose an additional ant target to build
> those components?

Sure - send it along.

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)

Posted by Jean-frederic Clere <jf...@gmail.com>.

Posted by George Harley <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Jean-frederic Clere wrote:
> Tim Ellison wrote:
>
>> Jean-frederic Clere wrote:

>>> Yep... I would prefer to classlib depends directory a readme that tells
>>> classlib depends on:
>>> CU4C version 3.4 (how to get and install it).
>>> ICU4JNI
>>> FDLIBM
>>> zlib
>>>

>> Like this?
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/incubator/harmony/enhanced/classlib/trunk/depends/oss/README.txt?view=markup
>>

> The README.txt doesn't tell how depends/jars/icu4j_3_4.jar is build,
> does it?

The README.txt contains the link to the ICU4J home where the binary jars
may be downloaded from. You can also pick up source and build
instructions from there if you want. Building the icu4j jar should not
have to be done for Harmony.

Best regards,
George

Posted by Jean-frederic Clere <jf...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.
It would be nicer if it was automated.  We'll evolve, but are trying to
make it simple to get and build and play with.

Posted by Jean-frederic Clere <jf...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.