Posted to community@apache.org by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org> on 2003/08/25 18:13:51 UTC

Re: No answer from announcements@jakarta.apache.org [Fwd: Returned post for announcements@jakarta.apache.org]

It is possible that the moderator of that list did not
moderate the mail.
# To tell the truth, I got bounced mail recently, too. :-)

Anyway, I think it will be important to make it easier for us
to find who are moderating XX mailing lists in the near future.
(Using committers module??)

-- Tetsuya (tetsuya@apache.org)

P.S. BTW, congratulations upon the release of new Turbine 2.3 RC1

--

On 25 Aug 2003 16:07:57 +0200
(Subject: No answer from announcements@jakarta.apache.org [Fwd: Returned post for announcements@jakarta.apache.org])
Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> who must I send this to if I want something to be put on the
> announcement list? This lingered for a week and then got returned by the
> mailing list program. :-(
>
> 	Regards
> 		Henning

<snip/>

Re: No answer from announcements@jakarta.apache.org [Fwd: Returned post for announcements@jakarta.apache.org]

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>.
On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Tetsuya Kitahata wrote:
> But.. I assumed that "listowner != moderator"
> and most of the mail lists in apache.org were owned by
> 1. Mr. Jon Scott Stevens
> 2. Mr. Ken Coar
> 3. Mr. Dirk-Willem van Gulik
> 4. Mr. Pier Paulo Fumagalli
> .... right!?!?
>
> I am afraid that if those who think their "valid" messages have
> not gotten reached to appropriate lists contact to list-owners at any
> time, the list-owners' (those mentioned above) burdens would be
> inflated...
>
> ... I hope my fears are utterly groundless.

The list -owner and moderators necessarily the same, but not for any
particular reason; just that it's two different settings with ezmlm.  The
above are all people who keep up with their mail, but also get a lot of
it, and if any asked to have the -owner assigned to someone else, that'd
be easy enough to do.  So, there should be no fears about emailing a
list's -owner address.

	Brian

Re: No answer from announcements@jakarta.apache.org [Fwd: Returned post for announcements@jakarta.apache.org]

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 20:14:57 +0200
Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org> wrote:

> > Anyway, I think it will be important to make it easier for us
> > to find who are moderating XX mailing lists in the near future.
>
> You can also politely poll listname-owner@project.apache.org.

Ahh... right, right. Nice catch :)

Posted by André Malo <nd...@apache.org>.
* Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> I don't think it's acceptable for moderators to miss valid messages, even
> with the spam that comes through.

Agreed, but ...

> If anyone else has had valid messages rejected by moderators, please let
> the corresponding PMC be aware of that.  If you don't get a response, let
> the board know.  And still assume the best of intentions.  :)

... I think, the first step should always be to contact the list-owner. A
valid message may be discarded by accident.

nd

Re: No answer from announcements@jakarta.apache.org [Fwd: Returned post for announcements@jakarta.apache.org]

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>.
I don't think it's acceptable for moderators to miss valid messages, even
with the spam that comes through.  However the last few weeks have been so
chaotic with mail systems that it wouldn't surprise me if they just missed
these, or the messages were lost along the way, or something.  Anyways,
I think it's best to address this between the list moderators and the
corresponding PMC; I've sent a message to that extent.

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@golux.com>.
Steven Noels wrote:

> You can also politely poll listname-owner@project.apache.org.

for most of the apache lists, that gets turned into a single
person when ezmlm [re]configures the list.  it requires special
handling to change that to be the moderators.  only four lists
are currently so configured: community-owner, community-digest-owner,
announce-owner@incubator, and geronimo-cvs-owner@incubator .

the default single-person setting means that even with lots of
moderators, stuff that goes to the owner is at the mercy of
one person's schedule.
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Re: No answer from announcements@jakarta.apache.org [Fwd: Returned post for announcements@jakarta.apache.org]

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Tetsuya Kitahata wrote:

> Anyway, I think it will be important to make it easier for us
> to find who are moderating XX mailing lists in the near future.

You can also politely poll listname-owner@project.apache.org.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org