Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Martin Povolný <ma...@solnet.cz> on 2006/07/27 08:01:39 UTC

problems when using subversion over http with large files

Hallo,

we are using subversion on a couple of quite large repozitories.
In our setup we have apache2 with ldap authentication and dav_svn.

Until recently we where running subversion 1.1.4 and now for a while
we run 1.2 with similar results.

In one of the repositories we have cca. 4-6 GB of data with files of
size up to 80 GB.

With this repository we have problems. Clients connecting to the
repository hang. In the apache error log we get something like:

[Thu Jul 27 09:26:00 2006] [notice] child pid 12349 exit signal
Segmentation fault (11)

[Thu Jul 27 09:34:15 2006] [error] [client 10.2.0.8] Provider
encountered an error while streaming a REPORT response.  [500, #0]
[Thu Jul 27 09:34:15 2006] [error] [client 10.2.0.8] A failure
occurred while driving the update report editor  [500, #190004]

When this happends, we do 'svnadmin recover' and it temporarily fixes
the problem.

Our clients are recent versions of tortoise svn for windows, but it
seems like the client version doesn't matter.

To me it seems, that the problem occurs more frequently since we have
large files in the repository.

I wonder if other people have this type of data managed by SVN and if
they have similar problems.

Should I try different setup? Standalone subversion server (no
apache), or would version 1.3 help?

We are using berkeley backend, would fsfs be better?

Thanks for any help.

Mgr. Martin Povolný, soLNet, s.r.o.
Technická podpora <ho...@solnet.cz>
telefon: +420/549131233, +420/737743587

Re: problems when using subversion over http with large files

Posted by gmu 2k6 <gm...@gmail.com>.
On 7/27/06, Martin Povolný <ma...@solnet.cz> wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> we are using subversion on a couple of quite large repozitories.
> In our setup we have apache2 with ldap authentication and dav_svn.
>
> Until recently we where running subversion 1.1.4 and now for a while
> we run 1.2 with similar results.
>
> In one of the repositories we have cca. 4-6 GB of data with files of
> size up to 80 GB.
>
> With this repository we have problems. Clients connecting to the
> repository hang. In the apache error log we get something like:
>
> [Thu Jul 27 09:26:00 2006] [notice] child pid 12349 exit signal
> Segmentation fault (11)

> [Thu Jul 27 09:34:15 2006] [error] [client 10.2.0.8] Provider
> encountered an error while streaming a REPORT response.  [500, #0]
> [Thu Jul 27 09:34:15 2006] [error] [client 10.2.0.8] A failure
> occurred while driving the update report editor  [500, #190004]
>
> When this happends, we do 'svnadmin recover' and it temporarily fixes
> the problem.
>
> Our clients are recent versions of tortoise svn for windows, but it
> seems like the client version doesn't matter.
>
> To me it seems, that the problem occurs more frequently since we have
> large files in the repository.
>
> I wonder if other people have this type of data managed by SVN and if
> they have similar problems.
>
> Should I try different setup? Standalone subversion server (no
> apache), or would version 1.3 help?
>
> We are using berkeley backend, would fsfs be better?
>
> Thanks for any help.

it could simply be that you're exceeding the maximum filesize limit of
your Apache.
LARGE_FILE support might be needed but it maybe also be a problem in
mod_dav_svn related to BDB.
I know that Midnight Commander can crash if you try to transfer a
several gigs big file over smbfs but works if you do it with a CIFS
mounted SMB share.
if you're able to use Apache 2.2 with APR-1.2.x try this.
as a first test try to download/upload a 3GiB file from/to Apache and
see if that also breaks Apache. if this is the case you will have to
upgrade to Apache 2.2 anyway.

Re: problems when using subversion over http with large files

Posted by Martin Povolný <ma...@solnet.cz>.
Martin Povolný napsal(a):

> In one of the repositories we have cca. 4-6 GB of data with files of
> size up to 80 GB.
             ^^^^^^ 80 MB

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
On 7/27/06, Martin Povolný <ma...@solnet.cz> wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> we are using subversion on a couple of quite large repozitories.
> In our setup we have apache2 with ldap authentication and dav_svn.
>
> Until recently we where running subversion 1.1.4 and now for a while
> we run 1.2 with similar results.
>
> In one of the repositories we have cca. 4-6 GB of data with files of
> size up to 80 GB.
>
> With this repository we have problems. Clients connecting to the
> repository hang. In the apache error log we get something like:
>
> [Thu Jul 27 09:26:00 2006] [notice] child pid 12349 exit signal
> Segmentation fault (11)

> [Thu Jul 27 09:34:15 2006] [error] [client 10.2.0.8] Provider
> encountered an error while streaming a REPORT response.  [500, #0]
> [Thu Jul 27 09:34:15 2006] [error] [client 10.2.0.8] A failure
> occurred while driving the update report editor  [500, #190004]
>
> When this happends, we do 'svnadmin recover' and it temporarily fixes
> the problem.
>
> Our clients are recent versions of tortoise svn for windows, but it
> seems like the client version doesn't matter.
>
> To me it seems, that the problem occurs more frequently since we have
> large files in the repository.
>
> I wonder if other people have this type of data managed by SVN and if
> they have similar problems.
>
> Should I try different setup? Standalone subversion server (no
> apache), or would version 1.3 help?
>
> We are using berkeley backend, would fsfs be better?

You should probably tweak your DB_CONFIG settings to allow for more
locks and larger buffers. The defaults are quite small. I seem to
recall there was advice in the FAQ or in the mailing list archives
somewhere... (Maybe google helps)

HTH,

Erik.

Re: problems when using subversion over http with large files

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net>.