Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Warren Togami <wt...@redhat.com> on 2009/09/04 00:16:22 UTC

RescoreDetails: --reuse?

http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/RescoreDetails

> Do not use --reuse if you have scanned with SA, but have configured that scanner to run with -L, or you have disabled common network tests or SPF. This is because it relies on the presence of the X-Spam-Status line to pick up hits on those rules, and currently cannot detect those conditions.

Perhaps the page should omit --reuse by default since it is more likely
that someone reading this page doesn't have all the add-on network tests
installed?

I personally don't have them all, and lots of my corpus is lacking
spamassassin headers.

Warren Togami
wtogami@redhat.com

Re: RescoreDetails: --reuse?

Posted by Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org>.
On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 23:57, Michael Parker<pa...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On Sep 3, 2009, at 5:16 PM, Warren Togami wrote:
>
>> http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/RescoreDetails
>>
>>> Do not use --reuse if you have scanned with SA, but have configured that
>>> scanner to run with -L, or you have disabled common network tests or SPF.
>>> This is because it relies on the presence of the X-Spam-Status line to pick
>>> up hits on those rules, and currently cannot detect those conditions.
>>
>> Perhaps the page should omit --reuse by default since it is more likely
>> that someone reading this page doesn't have all the add-on network tests
>> installed?
>>
>> I personally don't have them all, and lots of my corpus is lacking
>> spamassassin headers.
>
> The code is smart enough to know that if you don't have the headers it
> should turn off reuse.  Now if you have headers but have turned off a bunch
> of network tests thats a different story.  In that case the data is not
> useful so you should not run with reuse.

But for most people, they have not _manually_ disabled some of the rules, so
this doesn't apply.  Overall, it's preferable to provide --reuse'd results *if
at all possible*, and we can sort it out at the log collation stage, on the
backend.  Hence I've reverted your wiki change...

--
--j.

Re: RescoreDetails: --reuse?

Posted by Michael Parker <pa...@pobox.com>.
On Sep 3, 2009, at 5:16 PM, Warren Togami wrote:

> http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/RescoreDetails
>
>> Do not use --reuse if you have scanned with SA, but have configured
>> that scanner to run with -L, or you have disabled common network
>> tests or SPF. This is because it relies on the presence of the X-
>> Spam-Status line to pick up hits on those rules, and currently
>> cannot detect those conditions.
>
> Perhaps the page should omit --reuse by default since it is more
> likely that someone reading this page doesn't have all the add-on
> network tests installed?
>
> I personally don't have them all, and lots of my corpus is lacking
> spamassassin headers.

The code is smart enough to know that if you don't have the headers it
should turn off reuse.  Now if you have headers but have turned off a
bunch of network tests thats a different story.  In that case the data
is not useful so you should not run with reuse.

Michael