Posted to dev@edgent.apache.org by William Marshall <wc...@gmail.com> on 2017/02/01 22:40:21 UTC

Proposed Podling Report

Hi All,

The following is the proposed podling report for the months of November,
December, and January. As this needs to be submitted by EOD today, please
respond with comments asap.

Apache Edgent is a programming model and micro-kernel style runtime that
can be embedded in gateways and small footprint edge devices enabling
local, real-time, analytics on the continuous streams of data coming from
equipment, vehicles, systems, appliances, devices and sensors of all kinds
(for example, Raspberry Pis or smart phones). Working in conjunction with
centralized analytic systems, Apache Edgent provides efficient and timely
analytics across the whole IoT ecosystem: from the center to the edge.

Edgent has been incubating since 2016-02-29.

   1. Create and expand a diverse community of contributors and committers
around the Edgent project
   2. Checking of all items in the project's Maturity Model (
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/EDGENT/Apache+Maturity+Model+For+Edgent
)
   3. Create a second release of Apache Edgent with additional features and
fixes.

aware of?

   No

   * A well attended meetup in San Francisco, CA about Apache Edgent was
held on January 18th. It covered introductory concepts of datastreaming,
the positioning of Edgent in the datastreaming universe, and examples and
use cases of Edgent. The meetup was attended by roughly 40 developers.
     "Apache Edgent: Datastreaming and Analytics for IoT Devices "
     https://www.meetup.com/SF-Data-Science/events/236682354/

    * There has been at least one question both asked and answered on
Stackoverflow by a non-committer non-PPMC member of the community. (
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/41280097/joining-streams-of-different-types-in-apache-edgent
)

    * Since the last report, at least 5 individuals have subscribed to the
Apache Edgent dev mailing list.

   * The first release of Edgent as part of the Apache incubator was
created on 2016-12-15. This represents a large amount of work, including
numerous improvements to connectors, the console, and a complete overhaul
of the build system to use Gradle.

   *According to JIRA, the project has added the following:

       * November 2016: 6 new issues; 18 issues resolved.

       * December: 18 new issues; 29 issues resolved.

       * January: 15 new issues; 12 issues resolved

Date of last release:

  * The most recent release of Apache Edgent was 2016-12-15.

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

   * In May 2016, we added two new committers and PPMC members, Kathy
Saunders and Queenie Ma.

Re: Proposed Podling Report

Posted by Dale LaBossiere <dl...@apache.org>.
+1

— Dale

Re: Proposed Podling Report

Posted by Queenie Ma <qu...@apache.org>.
+1

--
Queenie

Re: Proposed Podling Report

Posted by Dale LaBossiere <dl...@apache.org>.
A couple of days ago I was thinking of doing another release.

It would be more interesting if the release incorporated at least one moderate enhancement (e.g., EDGENT-377).  Right now, not much of significance has been added, though there have been some changes and going through the process again would be valuable on its own.

I’ll kick off a thread for that.

— Dale

Re: Proposed Podling Report

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: Proposed Podling Report

Posted by Katherine Marsden <km...@apache.org>.
On 2/3/17 3:48 PM, John D. Ament wrote:
> All,
>
> I want to echo the sentiments I see in your mentors' comments.  Great work.  I'm wondering, is Edgent almost ready to graduate?

I think the biggest barrier is building a diverse community.  I think
all the committers and PPMC members understand and embrace their Apache
Hat very well, but all but one work for the same company.  The community
is very welcoming has put effort int webcasts and meetups to try to
attract more people and I am sure that would continue to do that after
graduation, but I seem to recall that there was a magic number of at
least three entities represented before graduation, but must say I can't
find reference right now.

Best

Kathey

Re: Proposed Podling Report

Posted by Katherine Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.
Sent from my iPhone
> On Feb 3, 2017, at 3:48 PM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> All,
>
> I want to echo the sentiments I see in your mentors' comments.  Great work.  I'm wondering, is Edgent almost ready to graduate?
>
> John

I encourage our committers and the larger community to express their opinion on this and also comment  what you think you might still need from the mentors.

Best

Kathey

Re: Proposed Podling Report

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
All,

Re: Proposed Podling Report

Posted by Susan Cline <ho...@pacbell.net>.
Hi,

Looks good thanks! + 1

Susan

Re: Proposed Podling Report

Posted by Katherine Marsden <km...@apache.org>.
On 2/1/17 2:40 PM, William Marshall wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> The following is the proposed podling report for the months of November,
> December, and January. As this needs to be submitted by EOD today, please
> respond with comments asap.

I think this looks fine.

Best

Kathey