Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Jacob Singh <ja...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/24 06:59:56 UTC

Changing the hostname jmeter-server reports to the client

Hello,

I'm trying to get distributed search working on ec2 (if anyone has any
results here, would love to hear them).  Here's what I've got going:

The public IP is 75.101.209.34
and the private IP is 10.252.162.18

----
jmeter log
----

My client can connect when the server is running, and I can telnet in,
but then has an issue here:
2008/09/24 08:55:40 INFO  - jmeter.samplers.StandardSampleSender:
Using Standard Remote Sampler for this test run
2008/09/24 08:58:49 ERROR - jmeter.engine.ClientJMeterEngine:
java.rmi.ConnectException: Connection refused to host: 10.252.162.18;
nested exception is:
       java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out

------------------------------------

Obviously, the server is sending the wrong IP address to the client.

As you can see below, I am setting the rmi.server.hostname property
and it is taking effect, however jmeter stubbornly refuses to actually
treat this as its IP...

----
jmeter-server log
----

2008/09/24 00:34:50 INFO  - jmeter.JMeter: Setting System property:
java.rmi.server.hostname=75.101.209.34
2008/09/24 00:34:50 INFO  - jmeter.JMeter: Setting System property:
server_port=1099
2008/09/24 00:34:50 INFO  - jmeter.JMeter: Copyright (c) 1998-2008 The
Apache Software Foundation
2008/09/24 00:34:50 INFO  - jmeter.JMeter: Version 2.3.2 r665936
2008/09/24 00:34:50 INFO  - jmeter.JMeter: java.version=1.6.0_04
2008/09/24 00:34:50 INFO  - jmeter.JMeter: java.vm.name=Java
HotSpot(TM) Server VM
2008/09/24 00:34:50 INFO  - jmeter.JMeter: os.name=Linux
2008/09/24 00:34:50 INFO  - jmeter.JMeter: os.arch=i386
2008/09/24 00:34:50 INFO  - jmeter.JMeter: os.version=2.6.18-xenU-ec2-v1.0
2008/09/24 00:34:50 INFO  - jmeter.JMeter: file.encoding=UTF-8
2008/09/24 00:34:50 INFO  - jmeter.JMeter: Default Locale=English
(United States)
2008/09/24 00:34:50 INFO  - jmeter.JMeter: JMeter  Locale=English
(United States)
2008/09/24 00:34:50 INFO  - jmeter.JMeter:
JMeterHome=/usr/local/jakarta-jmeter-2.3.2
2008/09/24 00:34:50 INFO  - jmeter.JMeter: user.dir
=/usr/local/jakarta-jmeter-2.3.2
2008/09/24 00:34:50 INFO  - jmeter.JMeter: PWD
=/usr/local/jakarta-jmeter-2.3.2
2008/09/24 00:34:50 INFO  - jmeter.JMeter: IP: 10.252.162.18 Name:
domU-12-31-38-00-9D-E4.compute-1.internal FullName:
domU-12-31-38-00-9D-E4.compute-1.internal
2008/09/24 00:34:51 INFO  - jmeter.engine.RemoteJMeterEngineImpl:
Starting backing engine on 1099
2008/09/24 00:34:51 INFO  - jmeter.engine.RemoteJMeterEngineImpl: IP
address=10.252.162.18

-------------------------

I think one of the issues is that ec2 doesn't actually know that this
is its ip because it is obviously behind a router.  So even if you
ping its public DNS, it will return the private domain.
Can someone throw me a bone here?  I've spent about 6hrs trying to fix
this, and I'm very sad because this will be awesome when it is working
:)  I also plan to release an AMI at some point in the future.

--

+1 510 277-0891 (o)
+91 9999 33 7458 (m)

web: http://pajamadesign.com

Skype: pajamadesign
Yahoo: jacobsingh
AIM: jacobsingh
gTalk: jacobsingh@gmail.com

Re: Changing the hostname jmeter-server reports to the client

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 25/09/2008, Jacob Singh <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure if I'm just missing this but...
>
>  I set the RMI property as in the instructions, and this reportedly
>  works fine.  In fact, my master can contact the server.
>  It's just that the server then passes a different IP back (not the one
>  used by RMI), and the client in turn tries to use this IP.

That's RMI sending back the IP.

>  Since it is a jmeter prop and not the RMI, is it possible to just
>  override this somehow?

No, it's a system property - it has no effect on JMeter, only on RMI.

I don't know why this is not working.

Posted by Jacob Singh <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacob Singh <ja...@gmail.com>.
  -------------------------

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 24/09/2008, Jacob Singh <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  I'm trying to get distributed search working on ec2 (if anyone has any
>  results here, would love to hear them).  Here's what I've got going:
>
>  The public IP is 75.101.209.34
>  and the private IP is 10.252.162.18
>
>  ----
>  jmeter log
>  ----
>
>  My client can connect when the server is running, and I can telnet in,
>  but then has an issue here:
>  2008/09/24 08:55:40 INFO  - jmeter.samplers.StandardSampleSender:
>  Using Standard Remote Sampler for this test run
>  2008/09/24 08:58:49 ERROR - jmeter.engine.ClientJMeterEngine:
>  java.rmi.ConnectException: Connection refused to host: 10.252.162.18;
>  nested exception is:
>        java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out
>
>  ------------------------------------
>
>  Obviously, the server is sending the wrong IP address to the client.

Agreed.

>  As you can see below, I am setting the rmi.server.hostname property
>  and it is taking effect, however jmeter stubbornly refuses to actually
>  treat this as its IP...
>
>  ----
>  jmeter-server log
>  ----
>
>  2008/09/24 00:34:50 INFO  - jmeter.JMeter: Setting System property:
>  java.rmi.server.hostname=75.101.209.34
>  2008/09/24 00:34:50 INFO  - jmeter.JMeter: Setting System property:
>  server_port=1099
>  2008/09/24 00:34:50 INFO  - jmeter.JMeter: Copyright (c) 1998-2008 The
>  Apache Software Foundation
>  2008/09/24 00:34:50 INFO  - jmeter.JMeter: Version 2.3.2 r665936
>  2008/09/24 00:34:50 INFO  - jmeter.JMeter: java.version=1.6.0_04
>  2008/09/24 00:34:50 INFO  - jmeter.JMeter: java.vm.name=Java
>  HotSpot(TM) Server VM
>  2008/09/24 00:34:50 INFO  - jmeter.JMeter: os.name=Linux
>  2008/09/24 00:34:50 INFO  - jmeter.JMeter: os.arch=i386
>  2008/09/24 00:34:50 INFO  - jmeter.JMeter: os.version=2.6.18-xenU-ec2-v1.0
>  2008/09/24 00:34:50 INFO  - jmeter.JMeter: file.encoding=UTF-8
>  2008/09/24 00:34:50 INFO  - jmeter.JMeter: Default Locale=English
>  (United States)
>  2008/09/24 00:34:50 INFO  - jmeter.JMeter: JMeter  Locale=English
>  (United States)
>  2008/09/24 00:34:50 INFO  - jmeter.JMeter:
>  JMeterHome=/usr/local/jakarta-jmeter-2.3.2
>  2008/09/24 00:34:50 INFO  - jmeter.JMeter: user.dir
>  =/usr/local/jakarta-jmeter-2.3.2
>  2008/09/24 00:34:50 INFO  - jmeter.JMeter: PWD
>  =/usr/local/jakarta-jmeter-2.3.2
>  2008/09/24 00:34:50 INFO  - jmeter.JMeter: IP: 10.252.162.18 Name:
>  domU-12-31-38-00-9D-E4.compute-1.internal FullName:
>  domU-12-31-38-00-9D-E4.compute-1.internal

The above is just logging what InetAddress.getLocalHost() returns.

>  2008/09/24 00:34:51 INFO  - jmeter.engine.RemoteJMeterEngineImpl:
>  Starting backing engine on 1099
>  2008/09/24 00:34:51 INFO  - jmeter.engine.RemoteJMeterEngineImpl: IP
>  address=10.252.162.18

That just records the same as above.
The hostname gets passed to the JMeter engine, but is not then used for RMI.