Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Dave Barnes <db...@apache.org> on 2022/06/14 19:03:39 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Relocate Geode Docs from code repo to seperate repo

I'd like to move the doc sources for the Geode User Guide from the code
repo (https://github.com/apache/geode) to a separate geode-docs repo.

The primary reason is to allow docs to cycle at their own rate, rather than
in lock-step with the code. The present arrangement causes problems during
releases, when code is frozen (including doc sources) to prepare a release
candidate. This is exactly the time when critical last-minute doc changes
are needed, but such changes are forbidden due to the code freeze.

I have participated in the Geode project since its inception, and can
confidently state that this conflict arises with nearly every Geode
release. Setting up the docs in a separate repo would alleviate this
regularly-recurring, counter-intuitive situation.

Of note: The docs directories and toolset are almost entirely independent
of directories and tools needed for code development and release, so
removal of the doc sources from the Geode code repo should be painless for
developers.

Observations and opinions welcome...

Dave Barnes

Re: [PROPOSAL] Relocate Geode Docs from code repo to seperate repo

Posted by Jacob Barrett <ja...@vmware.com.INVALID>.
I don’t see any downsides to this approach. We already do this for other assets like examples, native, site, and benchmarks.

Posted by Alberto Gomez <al...@est.tech>.
Hi,

I agree with Udo and John that having the docs and the code in the same repo really helps to have both in-sync. Therefore, I would not separate them in different repos.

I'd rather see a change in the process to overcome the difficulties faced with the documentation after the code is frozen.

Alberto
________________________________
From: Dave Barnes <db...@apache.org>
Date: Wednesday, June 15, 2022 at 8:11 AM
To: jblum@vmware.com.invalid <jb...@vmware.com.invalid>
Cc: dev@geode.apache.org <de...@geode.apache.org>
⚠ External Email

John,
Thanks for acknowledging that docs are just as important as code!  As a
career tech-writer, the "docs=code" model appeals to me.
I get what you're saying, and have worked in environments where release
managers have enforced such constraints.
In this vein, the Geode code is well-supplied with embedded Javadoc
comments that behave exactly as you describe, providing a reference that is
updated as the code is updated.
The difference with a user guide (as opposed to reference material), is
that examples and usage guidelines can be finalized only AFTER the code,
with all its version numbers, naming conventions, etc, are in place.
Delaying code freeze until docs are complete, in my experience, engenders
feature-creep and introduces delays, often resulting in compromises that
allow the release to go out with mis-matched docs. IMO, a separate
user-guide repo promotes a better and more timely match-up between the
software and the user guide.

From: Dave Barnes <db...@apache.org>
Date: Wednesday, June 15, 2022 at 8:11 AM
To: jblum@vmware.com.invalid <jb...@vmware.com.invalid>
Cc: dev@geode.apache.org <de...@geode.apache.org>

Posted by Dave Barnes <db...@apache.org>.
Good arguments on both sides, but not an overwhelming consensus.
I will leave things as they are. Thanks for everyone who contributed to the
discussion!

Posted by Dave Barnes <db...@apache.org>.

Posted by Owen Nichols <on...@vmware.com.INVALID>.

From: Dave Barnes <db...@apache.org>
Date: Tuesday, June 14, 2022 at 3:11 PM
To: jblum@vmware.com.invalid <jb...@vmware.com.INVALID>
Cc: dev@geode.apache.org <de...@geode.apache.org>

Posted by Dave Barnes <db...@apache.org>.
John,

From: Dave Barnes <db...@apache.org>
Date: Tuesday, June 14, 2022 at 12:15 PM
To: dev@geode.apache.org <de...@geode.apache.org>
⚠ External Email

I'd like to move the doc sources for the Geode User Guide from the code
repo (https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fapache%2Fgeode&amp;data=05%7C01%7Cjblum%40vmware.com%7Cb6ae14ef841e416fb22208da4e3a2bb4%7Cb39138ca3cee4b4aa4d6cd83d9dd62f0%7C0%7C0%7C637908308999514633%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&amp;sdata=vWegMzha9uIc8JMMAYhgxU20V9beAoSbAFOK5aORAfc%3D&amp;reserved=0) to a separate geode-docs repo.

Posted by Dave Barnes <db...@apache.org>.
I think the committer list, like the PMC membership, is shared across all
the Geode-related sites. The geode-docs site would be added to this list.
From the "Committers" link on Geode "Community" page (
https://geode.apache.org/community/):
Repositories managed by this Committee (from ASF Git mirrors
<https://git.apache.org/>):

   - geode: https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/geode.git
   - geode-benchmarks:
   https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/geode-benchmarks.git
   - geode-dotnet-core-client:
   https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/geode-dotnet-core-client.git
   - geode-examples: https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/geode-examples.git
   - geode-kafka-connector:
   https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/geode-kafka-connector.git
   - geode-native: https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/geode-native.git
   - geode-site: https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/geode-site.git
   - geode-svn: https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geode/

Posted by Joris Melchior <jm...@vmware.com.INVALID>.

From: Dave Barnes <db...@apache.org>
Date: Tuesday, June 14, 2022 at 3:14 PM
To: dev@geode.apache.org <de...@geode.apache.org>
⚠ External Email

I'd like to move the doc sources for the Geode User Guide from the code
repo (https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fapache%2Fgeode&amp;data=05%7C01%7Cjmelchior%40vmware.com%7C54eb53d60ca94a1b157308da4e3a1593%7Cb39138ca3cee4b4aa4d6cd83d9dd62f0%7C0%7C0%7C637908308627227614%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&amp;sdata=2JRX3rpAptf1Sa0EmEPJnDu%2B3mS%2FsEB83M2warTTni4%3D&amp;reserved=0) to a separate geode-docs repo.