Posted to user@bigtop.apache.org by Steven Núñez <st...@illation.com> on 2013/11/21 05:44:35 UTC

Best Way to Determine Package Versions

Gents,

What is the best way to determine the particular version of  a BigTop package? A command for this would be very useful. This particular use case involves trying out the Oozie component according to the Running Various BigTop Components<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/BIGTOP/Running+various+Bigtop+components> wiki page. The instructions for Oozie appear to be out of date, and the Oozie website<http://oozie.apache.org> has different configurations for different versions.

It seems that the Oozie instructions on that page are particularly out of date.

Regards,
- SteveN

Re: Best Way to Determine Package Versions

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.
On 11/20/2013 08:44 PM, Steven Núñez wrote:
> Gents,
>
> What is the best way to determine the particular version of  a BigTop
> package? A command for this would be very useful. This particular use
> case involves trying out the Oozie component according to the Running
> Various BigTop Components
> <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/BIGTOP/Running+various+Bigtop+components>
> wiki page. The instructions for Oozie appear to be out of date, and the
> Oozie website <http://oozie.apache.org> has different configurations for
> different versions.
>
> It seems that the Oozie instructions on that page are particularly out
> of date.
>
> Regards,
> - SteveN

I assume you are referring to an installed package

On a RPM based GNU/Linux distribution:
rpm -qi <package name>
rpm -qf <file or directory>

Note that you can also use yum (yum info, yum list).

for deb based distributions, I don't have one handy right now, but the
following link should help you in that regard:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-pkgtools.en.html

Thanks,
Bruno

Re: Best Way to Determine Package Versions

Posted by Doug Chang <do...@stanfordalumni.org>.
I look in bigtop.mk after uncompressing the source tarball or zip file
which corresponds to the version I am using.