Posted to jaxme-dev@ws.apache.org by Steven Cummings <st...@yahoo.com> on 2004/08/25 17:57:22 UTC

Features

Hello,

I normally just lurk on this list since there is no user's list, but I thought
I would see if it was appropriate to go on ahead and ask a couple of questions
here. First of all, perhaps I didn't look hard enough, but is there a current
and future features list on the website? It would be something that I'd like to
look at before I just started posting a bunch of RFE bugs for JaxMe. For
instance, is there currently a feature for binding-customization, like
Sun-JAXB's JXB files and inline binding-customization elements inside the
xsd:annotation elements?

One other issue I was thinking of filing was with the XJC ant task and how it
is described in the JaxMe user manual. It says that if your xjc task includes
the "produces" element with an "includes" attribute, that it should use that
value to imply what the package of the generated sources should be. So this is
what I expected. But instead the generated sources were put in a package name
based on the namespace-string (the revere-domain-name and path, like
com.whatever.app, etc). I finally fixed this by using the package attribute of
the xjc task. So it's really no problem in the end, but I wanted to bring it up
because either the documentation is misleading (it doesn't list the ant-task
possible attributes until a few pages later), or my expectation for behavior
was dead-wrong.

Thanks for listening.

/S

Re: Features

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@freenet.de>.
Steven Cummings wrote:

> I normally just lurk on this list since there is no user's list

There is no users list, because we it is currently not worth the hazzle
to maintain both. In other words: This list is perfectly well.

> here. First of all, perhaps I didn't look hard enough, but is there a current
> and future features list on the website?

So far, the project is clearly dedicated to the implementation of the
JAXB specification. I know a real lot of things, that could be done, but
they are behind.

> instance, is there currently a feature for binding-customization, like
> Sun-JAXB's JXB files and inline binding-customization elements inside the
> xsd:annotation elements?

External binding customization is a part of the specification, thus
should be done at some time. My impression is, that it could be
implemented by some Java class or by some XSLT stylesheet.

As for inline binding customization: Some things have been done, some
not. However, they are also a part of the spec, thus they are on the
TODO list implicitly-

> One other issue I was thinking of filing was with the XJC ant task and how it
> is described in the JaxMe user manual. It says that if your xjc task includes
> the "produces" element with an "includes" attribute, that it should use that
> value to imply what the package of the generated sources should be.

I can't read that from the manual. If this is the impression that you
had after reading, then we ought to change it.

The "produces" elements are used for the up-to-date check, and for
nothing more. If the destination directory contains only files generated
by this particular xjc call, then the following is perfectly valid:

     <produces dir="build/src"/>

The package is only important, if the destination directory might
contain additional files, for example, files generated from other schema
files with different xjc calls. In that case you need to distinguish
between the files that are generated by this xjc call and the other
files. This is typically done by restricting the "produces" file set to
the package directory, for example like this:

     <produces dir="build/src"
         includes="org/apache/ws/jaxme/test/myschema/*"/>

However, this is only to exclude files in other packages from the
up-to-date-check.

If you have a suggestion, how the manuals wording could be better,
please let us know.

Jochen