Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by "N. D." <dn...@yahoo.com> on 2002/07/31 00:02:00 UTC

logger factory question

Hi

I need some help regarding the configuration of logger factories.
I would like to define my own logger class for eg MyLogger, derived from
Logger, so that I can define additional interfaces and the users of my API can
still create the instances of MyLogger by making a call to
MyLogger.getLogger(). MyLogger.getLogger will internally create a logger using
an instance of MyLoggerFactory.

This works great except when I am using a PropertyConfigurator. If I define
multiple loggers in the configuration file and used PropertyConfigurator to
read and configure them, then all the instances created are Logger instances as
opposed to MyLogger. But in fact I would like them to be instances of MyLogger.
I couldn't get any documentation about how to configure this scenario and it
seems that the LoggerFactory configuration is no longer supported.

Is there any information available on either 1) how to configure the logger
factories to get correct logger instances or 2) alternate ways to extend the
logger functionality tailored to the application?

Thanks in Advance
--ND

Re: logger factory question

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
This question was raised on this list numerous times. I suggest
reading the following thread:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=log4j-dev&m=102274371508502&w=2

Chapters 8, 9 and Q 11.11 of the complete manual cover the question of
sub-classing. Nevertheless, I think that they don't deal with the question
very well. The final version of the manual is sure to fix this. I can
safely say that buying the book and reading its contents will let you
take a more informed decision. However, as the author of the manual, I
can't deny that my opinion can only be biased.

At 11:30 31.07.2002 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi
>
>Does anybody have any documentation pointers to the alternative to using
>LoggerFactory? Will buying the complete log4J manual help? Can I find some
>explanation as to why the use of LoggerFactory discouraged?

>The mail archives seem to suggest use of LoggerRepository, but there
>wasn't any
>explanation as to how it should be used.
>
>I am evaluating Log4J as a logging tool for our project and facing roadblocks
>right at the beginning. I would really appreciate any help about this.
>
>Thanks -- ND
>
>--- "N. D." <dn...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I need some help regarding the configuration of logger factories.
> > I would like to define my own logger class for eg MyLogger, derived from
> > Logger, so that I can define additional interfaces and the users of my API
> > can
> > still create the instances of MyLogger by making a call to
> > MyLogger.getLogger(). MyLogger.getLogger will internally create a logger
> > using
> > an instance of MyLoggerFactory.
> >
> > This works great except when I am using a PropertyConfigurator. If I define
> > multiple loggers in the configuration file and used PropertyConfigurator to
> > read and configure them, then all the instances created are Logger
> instances
> > as
> > opposed to MyLogger. But in fact I would like them to be instances of
> > MyLogger.
> > I couldn't get any documentation about how to configure this scenario
> and it
> > seems that the LoggerFactory configuration is no longer supported.
> >
> > Is there any information available on either 1) how to configure the logger
> > factories to get correct logger instances or 2) alternate ways to
> extend the
> > logger functionality tailored to the application?
> >
> > Thanks in Advance
> > --ND

> e-mail:   <ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
> > For additional commands, e-mail: