Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch> on 2003/07/31 13:54:47 UTC

Re: cvs commit: xml-fop/src/java/org/apache/fop/apps XSLTInputHandler.java TraxInputHandler.java

I thought, we agreed to deprecate stuff in the apps package only, to
maintain backwards-compatibility.

On 31.07.2003 07:14:29 gmazza wrote:
> gmazza      2003/07/30 22:14:29
>
>   Modified:    src/java/org/apache/fop/apps XSLTInputHandler.java
>   Removed:     src/java/org/apache/fop/apps TraxInputHandler.java
>   Log:
>   XSLTInputHandler reimplemented using TraxInputHandler code.  TraxInputHandler removed.  (Retaining XSLTInputHandler because of its technology-independent name, also probably the more used class of the two.)

Jeremias Maerki

Re: cvs commit: xml-fop/src/java/org/apache/fop/apps XSLTInputHandler.java TraxInputHandler.java

Posted by Glen Mazza <gr...@yahoo.com>.
Actually, I'm starting to like InputHandler and am
just cleaning it up for 1.0, new API or no new API.
The only thing else I would like to get rid of in apps
are the Starter classes, if possible, which are
internal anyway.  Driver I might have a few minor
simplifications to, but I'm not (currently... ;)
taking a position on what will happen to it in 1.0.
That depends on the new API by you and Victor.

On the topic of backwards-compatibility, the Struts
project may be instructive for us. It maintains, quite
successfully, incompatible APIs in 1.0.2 and in 1.1.
Their users, if I may judge from the user list, didn't
have much problem in recoding from 1.0.2 to 1.1 to
take advantage of the new functionality offered by the
latter.

Struts did not make 1.1 backward compatible with 1.0.2
API, the logic being that if you aren't ready for 1.1
just stay with 1.0.2 until you are.  More importantly,
by not needing to retain 1.0.2 functionality within
1.1, the latter API could be a "Work of Art", i.e.
they did not need to make it architecturally less
solid just so 1.0.2 would work with it.

The insistence of backwards compatibility possibly
would have made Struts 1.1 architecturally an inferior
product, bloated and more bug-prone due to the
multiple access paths needed to be maintained
internally.  But FOP is not Struts, and we may come to
different conclusions.

Glen