Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Vikram Dixit K <vi...@gmail.com> on 2015/02/09 23:43:48 UTC

VOTE Bylaw for having branch committers in hive

Hi Folks,

We seem to have quite a few projects going around and in the interest of
time and the project as a whole, it seems good to have branch committers
much like what is there in the Hadoop project. I am proposing an addition
to the committer bylaws as follows ( taken from the hadoop project bylaws
http://hadoop.apache.org/bylaws.html )

"Significant, pervasive features are often developed in a speculative
branch of the repository. The PMC may grant commit rights on the branch to
its consistent contributors, while the initiative is active. Branch
committers are responsible for shepherding their feature into an active
release and do not cast binding votes or vetoes in the project."

Actions: New Branch Committer
Approval: Lazy Consensus
Binding Votes: Active PMC members
Minimum Length: 3 days
Mailing List: private@hive.apache.org

Actions: Removal of Branch Committer
Approval: Consensus
Binding Votes: Active PMC members excluding the committer in question if
they are PMC members too.
Minimum Length: 6 days
Mailing List: private@hive.apache.org

This vote will run for 6 days. PMC members please vote.

Thanks
Vikram.

Re: VOTE Bylaw for having branch committers in hive

Posted by Thejas Nair <th...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Prasanth Jayachandran <pj...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 for the proposal.

Posted by Lefty Leverenz <le...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Gunther Hagleitner <gh...@hortonworks.com>.
Very useful: +1

Thanks,
Gunther.

Posted by Harish Butani <hb...@hortonworks.com>.
+1
Posted by Jason Dere <jd...@hortonworks.com>.
+1

Posted by Szehon Ho <sz...@cloudera.com>.
Makes sense, +1

Posted by Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com>.
+1

Posted by Ashutosh Chauhan <ha...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Alan Gates <al...@gmail.com>.
+1

Alan.

Posted by Lefty Leverenz <le...@gmail.com>.

> Should I change the bylaw for this type of vote happening to dev list
> instead of the user mailing list as it is currently stated?

Sounds good to me.

On the other hand, here are some arguments in favor of keeping this type of
vote on the user mailing list:  (1) wider distribution increases
transparency, (2) wider distribution can broaden the non-voting discussion,
(3) the user list has less traffic than the dev list, although the upcoming
issues list will reduce the dev clutter.

Anyway, it should be decided in a new voting thread.

-- Lefty

Posted by Vikram Dixit K <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Carl,

Posted by Carl Steinbach <cw...@gmail.com>.