Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Brad Saxton <bs...@brocku.ca> on 2022/03/09 15:12:39 UTC

Single connection and the control panel

Unless I'm missing something, there seems to be an issue for users who only have one connection defined.

For users with only one connection, Guacamole automatically makes that connection upon login without displaying the Guacamole home page. If though, only one active connection per user is permitted, this causes an issue. If the user was already logged in from another computer and only 1 connection per user is allowed, this causes an issue. The user gets an error about exceeding the number of allowed connections and only "Reconnect" or "Logout" are displayed. The user cannot get to the control panel in order to kill the other connection.

A simple solution would be to simply give every user a "dummy" connection that doesn't actually do anything as this will then have everyone get the Guacamole home page listing the "dummy" and the "real" connection.

Is there a better solution that I am missing which would give users with only one connection access to the "Settings" menu in order to kill the other sessions.

Thanks

--

Brad Saxton
Senior System Administrator

Re: Single connection and the control panel

Posted by Brad Saxton <bs...@brocku.ca>.
> If necessary, you can go to the settings screen by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Shift to open the Guacamole menu. The usual dropdown menuwith "Settings", "Logout", etc. is there.

This (at least in our setup) is not true. Ctrl+Alt+Shift does not bring up the control panel if you are in the state where the connection failed for any reason like "you've exceeded the number of allowed connections" and the only options on the screen are "Reconnect" or "Logout".

Thanks

--

________________________________
> Unless I'm missing something, there seems to be an issue for users who only have one connection defined.
>
> For users with only one connection, Guacamole automatically makes that connection upon login without displaying the Guacamole home page.

Yes, this is by design. If a user has access to only one connection,
they are taken to that connection immediately instead of forcing the
user to select their single connection from a list of one choice.

> If though, only one active connection per user is permitted, this causes an issue. If the user was already logged in from another computer and only 1 connection per user is allowed, this causes an issue. The user gets an error about exceeding the number of allowed connections and only "Reconnect" or "Logout" are displayed. The user cannot get to the control panel in order to kill the other connection.

If necessary, you can go to the settings screen by pressing
Ctrl+Alt+Shift to open the Guacamole menu. The usual dropdown menu
with "Settings", "Logout", etc. is there.

- Mike

Re: Single connection and the control panel

Posted by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.