Posted to users@maven.apache.org by jaxzin <Br...@espn3.com> on 2008/08/02 07:00:17 UTC

"Classworlds uberjar" vs. "assembly jar-with-dependencies"

Does anyone have some insight as to why the uberjar functionality of the
Classworlds project hasn't gotten much support with Maven 2?

http://classworlds.codehaus.org/uberjar.html

It seems like a really useful setup as it preserves some of the information
that the assembly plugin strips, such as signed jars, the individual
manifests as well as the original organization of class files and resources.
Was there something inherently wrong with the classworlds implementation
that a Maven 2 plugin was never created?  I was considering going down the
path of creating a Maven 2 plugin to create classworld uberjars but I wanted
to throw the question out there in case someone already knew the 'gotchas'
surrounding it.

Re: "Classworlds uberjar" vs. "assembly jar-with-dependencies"

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
In particular, it was really slow.

Rather than jar-in-jar execution, most solutions have focused on
repacking a single JAR and combining the resources as well as
rewriting references and in some cases stripping out unneeded code.

I recommend looking at the Shade plugin in Maven.

Cheers,
Brett

2008/8/2 jaxzin <Br...@espn3.com>:

> Does anyone have some insight as to why the uberjar functionality of the
> Classworlds project hasn't gotten much support with Maven 2?
>
> http://classworlds.codehaus.org/uberjar.html
>
> It seems like a really useful setup as it preserves some of the information
> that the assembly plugin strips, such as signed jars, the individual
> manifests as well as the original organization of class files and resources.
> Was there something inherently wrong with the classworlds implementation
> that a Maven 2 plugin was never created?  I was considering going down the
> path of creating a Maven 2 plugin to create classworld uberjars but I wanted
> to throw the question out there in case someone already knew the 'gotchas'
> surrounding it.

Brett Porter
Blog: http://blogs.exist.com/bporter/