Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Toni Lyytikäinen <to...@gmail.com> on 2007/06/29 16:09:48 UTC

How to pass messages that survive redirects?

I've used to doing something like this in Ruby on Rails:

if @object.updateAttributes(params[:object])
    flash[:notice]="Update succesful!"
    redirect_to :action=>'list'
else ...

Now that I'm using Struts 2 for a project I tried doing something similar:

try {
    objectService.save(getObject());
    addActionMessage("Update succesful!");
    return "redirect";
} catch (...)

But I found out that the actionmessages don't show in the redirected action
anymore (probably because then it's another instance of that class that
doesn't have the same actionmessages property), even though I have the
<s:actionmessage />-tag. Is there a mechanism to pass messages from actions
that survive a redirect? Or should I just put them into the users session?

Re: How to pass messages that survive redirects?

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
--- Christopher Schultz wrote:
> Toni Lyytikäinen wrote:
>> Is there a mechanism to pass messages from actions
>> that survive a redirect? Or should I just put them
>> into the users session?
> The session or the URL of the target page are really
> the only ways to do this.

http://struts.apache.org/2.x/docs/message-store-interceptor.html

does it a bit more automagically, though.

d.

Re: How to pass messages that survive redirects?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.