Posted to user@lucenenet.apache.org by Troy Howard <th...@gmail.com> on 2010/12/31 01:01:22 UTC

Initial committers list for Incubator Proposal

All,

I'm working on the Incubator Proposal now, and need to establish a
list of initial committers.

So far, the following people have come forward and offered to be
committers (in alphabetical order):

Alex Thompson
Ben Martz
Chris Currens
Heath Aldrich
Michael Herndon
Prescott Nasser
Scott Lombard
Simone Chiaretta
Troy Howard

I would like to place an open request for any interested parties to
respond to this message with their request to be a Committer. For
people who are either on that list or for people who would like to be
added, please send a message explaining (briefly) why you think you
will be qualified to be involved in the project and specifically what
ways you hope to be able to contribute.

One thing I would like to point out is that in the Apache world there
is a distinction between Committers and Contributors (aka developers).
See this link for details:

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/participation.html#committer

Please consider whether or not you wish to be a Committer or a Contributor.

Some quick rules of thumb:

Committers:

- Committers must be willing to submit a Contributor License Agreement
(CLA). See: http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas

- Committers must have enough *consistent* free time to fulfill the
expectations of the ASF in terms of reporting,  process, documentation
and remain responsive to the community in terms of communication and
listening to, considering, and discussing community opinion. These
kinds of tasks can consume a lot of time and are some of the first
things people stop down when they start running out of time.

- A Committer may not even write code, but may simply accept, review
and commit code written by others. This is the primary responsibility
of a Committer -- to commit code, whether they wrote it themselves or
not

- Committers may have to perform the unpleasant task of reject
contribution from Contributors and explain why in a fair and objective
manner. This can be frustrating and time consuming. You may need to
play the part of a mentor or engage in debates. You may even be proved
wrong and have to swallow your pride.

- Committers have direct access to the source control and other
resources and so must be personally accountable for the quality of the
same and will need to operate under the process and restrictions ASF
expects

Contributors:

- Contributors might have a lot of free time this month, but get
really busy next month and have no time at all. They can develop code
in short bursts but then drop off the face of the planet indefinitely
after that.

- Contributors could focus on code only or work from a task list
without any need to interact with and be accountable to the community
(as this is the responsibility of the Committers)

- Contributors can do one-time or infrequently needed tasks like
updating the website, documentation, wikis, etc..

- Contributors will need to have anything they create reviewed by a
Committer and ultimately included by a Committer. Some people find
this frustrating, if the Committers are slow to respond or critical of
their work.

So in your responses, please be clear about whether you would like to
offer your help as a Committer or as a Contributor.

Thanks,
Troy

Re: Initial committers list for Incubator Proposal

Posted by Wyatt Barnett <wy...@gmail.com>.
My names is Wyatt Barnett. I currently work as Director of IT at the
National Cable & Telecommunications Association in Washington, DC,
USA. I have used more than a few information retrieval/full text query
systems in the past, but nothing has matched what one can do with
Lucene.NET and a bit of c-sharp-fu. I also think that we are fast
moving into a world with a veritable data firehose and any tool we can
use to filter the data down to the relevent bits is very, very
important.

I've got no Java background so I'm not sure how much help I can be
with the porting process. Where I think I can help is:

* Build automation -- why aren't we looking at making the porting
process mechanically automated? I'll elaborate separately.
* Community/support/evangalisim -- as a recovering liberal arts major
I'm technically more qualified to write english than code.

Unfortunately, my schedule is far too unpredictable to take on the
role of a committer, but I would be honored to join as a contributor.

Posted by Wyatt Barnett <wy...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Peter Mateja <pe...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Glyn Darkin <gl...@darkinsystems.com>.
Hi All,

> [...]

> really busy next month and have no time at all. They can develop code
> in short bursts but then drop off the face of the planet indefinitely
> after that.
>
> - Contributors could focus on code only or work from a task list
> without any need to interact with and be accountable to the community
> (as this is the responsibility of the Committers)
>
> - Contributors can do one-time or infrequently needed tasks like
> updating the website, documentation, wikis, etc..
>
> - Contributors will need to have anything they create reviewed by a
> Committer and ultimately included by a Committer. Some people find
> this frustrating, if the Committers are slow to respond or critical of
> their work.
>

> So in your responses, please be clear about whether you would like to
> offer your help as a Committer or as a Contributor.

Glyn Darkin

Darkin Systems Ltd
Mob: 07961815649
Fax: 08717145065
Web: www.darkinsystems.com

Company No: 6173001
VAT No: 906350835

Re: Initial committers list for Incubator Proposal

Posted by Troy Howard <th...@gmail.com>.
DIGY,

Awesome! Glad to have you back in the game.

Thanks,
Troy

Posted by Digy <di...@gmail.com>.
A new year, a new beginning.
Ok, you can count me in.

DIGY

Posted by Alex Thompson <pi...@hotmail.com>.
I haven't actually used Lucene.Net that much but I expect I will in the
future. I guess I will classify myself as a contributor. I'm a .Net
developer of several years working as a consultant on enterprise projects. I
did the test port of lucene using sharpen and am willing to do the java work
of improving sharpen or working on other porting/post-processing needs. As a
.Net developer I'm interested in more java projects like lucene coming to
.Net and hopefully this project will lead to that.

Alex

Posted by Prescott Nasser <ge...@hotmail.com>.
There are a number of out of the box projects that I think should be developed as we have time that will help facilitate new people getting started, be used as examples and templates, and give us some good stuff to blog about :). This all goes to the marketing/PR/Community stuff that was sent out earlier by Michael Herndon

~Prescott Nasser

Posted by Prescott Nasser <ge...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Shashi Kant <sk...@sloan.mit.edu>.
Troy et al,

Posted by Simone Chiaretta <si...@gmail.com>.
Good stuff...
I should register to the dev ml as well then :)
Simo

Posted by Peter Mateja <pe...@gmail.com>.
Awesome work Troy.  Looks like we're getting some positive feedback.  Thanks
for managing this process!

Peter Mateja
peter.mateja@gmail.com

Posted by Troy Howard <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Troy Howard <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simone Chiaretta <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Glyn Darkin <gl...@darkinsystems.com>.
Hi All,

> [...]

> really busy next month and have no time at all. They can develop code
> in short bursts but then drop off the face of the planet indefinitely
> after that.
>
> - Contributors could focus on code only or work from a task list
> without any need to interact with and be accountable to the community
> (as this is the responsibility of the Committers)
>
> - Contributors can do one-time or infrequently needed tasks like
> updating the website, documentation, wikis, etc..
>
> - Contributors will need to have anything they create reviewed by a
> Committer and ultimately included by a Committer. Some people find
> this frustrating, if the Committers are slow to respond or critical of
> their work.
>

> So in your responses, please be clear about whether you would like to
> offer your help as a Committer or as a Contributor.

Glyn Darkin

Darkin Systems Ltd
Mob: 07961815649
Fax: 08717145065
Web: www.darkinsystems.com

Company No: 6173001
VAT No: 906350835

RE: Initial committers list for Incubator Proposal

Posted by Frank Yu <fr...@farpoint.com>.

Troy,

Please count me as a contributor. I have been using the Lucene.Net 2.4 and 2.9.2 for more than 1 years.

Thanks,

Frank Yu

  _____

Troy Howard <ma...@gmail.com>
December 30, 2010 4:01 PM

Posted by Ben Martz <be...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

After reviewing the committer/contributor guidelines and considering my current work and family obligations, I must regretfully offer my services as a contributor only at this point.

My name is Ben Martz and I am currently the Chief Software Architect for a small startup in the Bay Area, California. Our product is written in C# from the ground up so I have been infused with all that is .NET and C# for the last 4 years or so. Prior to that I have extensive experience with C/C++/OO software design and development. Two particular strengths I have to offer to Lucene.Net are a strong background in string processing and process automation which I think could serve well in developing and debugging an automated porting process that would serve as the foundation for this project. All work have to take place outside of my normal work day which is why I can only offer myself up as a contributor at this point.

Cheers,
Ben