Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by nocturnal <no...@swehack.se> on 2006/10/25 13:52:36 UTC

[users@httpd] Load Balancing using multiple network interfaces

Hi

I'm looking for a load balancing method where i can statically link
clients to a certain vhost or ip and have that ip send the reply back to
the client, so the traffic is going out on a different interface or
ip-address.

So far i've setup Apache with two ip-addresses in vhosts but each
ip-address is on one physical network interface each. So what happens
when i redrect people from example.com to data.example.com, which is
using the second ip-address in vhosts, is that i get HTTP queries going
in on the second ip-address for data.exet.nu but all response traffic
from Apache goes out on the first interface and the first ip-address.

Is this because i'm using two interfaces? Could this be solved if i just
had put the second ip-address on the first interface?
--

Med vänliga hälsningar

Stefan Midjich aka nocturnal
[Swehack] http://swehack.se

Re: [users@httpd] Load Balancing using multiple network interfaces

Posted by Kenneth Svee <k....@usit.uio.no>.
[ nocturnal ]

> Hi
>
> I'm looking for a load balancing method where i can statically link
> clients to a certain vhost or ip and have that ip send the reply
> back to the client, so the traffic is going out on a different
> interface or ip-address.
>
> So far i've setup Apache with two ip-addresses in vhosts but each
> ip-address is on one physical network interface each. So what
> happens when i redrect people from example.com to data.example.com,
> which is using the second ip-address in vhosts, is that i get HTTP
> queries going in on the second ip-address for data.exet.nu but all
> response traffic from Apache goes out on the first interface and the
> first ip-address.
>
> Is this because i'm using two interfaces? Could this be solved if i
> just had put the second ip-address on the first interface?

This sounds more like a routing issue on your server. All traffic from
your box most likely go out through a default gateway. You'd need at
least one gateway-definition for each physical interface in the
routing table on your box to make it send traffic out through both
interfaces.

Rgds,
Kenneth Svee