Posted to user@spark.apache.org by SK <sk...@gmail.com> on 2014/09/19 21:17:53 UTC

mllib performance on mesos cluster

Hi,

I have a program similar to the BinaryClassifier example that I am running
using my data (which is fairly small). I run this for 100 iterations. I
observed the following performance:

Standalone mode cluster with 10 nodes (with Spark 1.0.2):  5 minutes
Standalone mode cluster with 10 nodes (with Spark 1.1.0):  8.9 minutes
Mesos cluster with 10 nodes (with Spark 1.1.0): 17 minutes

1) According to the documentation, Spark 1.1.0 has better performance. So I
would like to understand why the runtime is longer on Spark 1.1.0.

2) Why is the performance on mesos significantly higher than in standalone
mode?  I just wanted to find out if any one else has observed poor
performance for Mllib based programs on mesos cluster. I looked through the
application detail logs and found that some of the scheduler delay values
were higher on mesos compared to standalone mode (40 ms vs. 10 ms).  Is the
mesos scheduler slower?

thanks

Re: mllib performance on mesos cluster

Posted by Sudha Krishna <sk...@gmail.com>.
Setting spark.mesos.coarse=true helped reduce the time on the mesos cluster
from 17 min to around 6 min. The scheduler delay per task reduced from 40
ms to around 10 ms.

thanks

Posted by Xiangrui Meng <me...@gmail.com>.