Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Andy Savin <A....@bath.ac.uk> on 2005/12/01 11:14:45 UTC

Cocoon dependencies

Hi,

I was just wondering if now cocoon 2.1.8 had been release lenya 1.4 would
remain using that version or if there will be continued dependencies on
the development version of cocoon?  Just checking to see if i
need to continue getting cocoon updates from svn.

Regards,

Andy

Re: Cocoon dependencies

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
solprovider@apache.org wrote:

>>>I am not certain we should hope Cocoon 2.1.9 is official before Lenya
>>>1.4.0 is released (because that could mean 1.4 is not ready soon.)
>>>

>>right, so we will be in between Cocoon-2.1.8 and Cocoon-2.1.9, which means
>>we will have to release it with a LCR or what else is the alternative?
>>

>>> We
>>>must continue with Cocoon-2.1.9-dev.  Downgrading now would probably
>>>cause more problems than releasing using a dev version.
>>>

>>why? Cocoon-2.1.8 was just released ...
>>

>So make Cocoon-2.1.8 the official dependency for Lenya-1.4.0, and let's move on.

that's what I was trying to get at ;-)

That's why I was suggesting either the latest stable release (currently
Cocoon-2.1.8) or a well-tested LCR.

The problem is that all of us are developing Lenya-1.4.0-dev based
on Cocoon-2.1.9-dev ...

>>>My thoughts are about future policy.  If everyone agrees, we get to
>>>Cocoon-2.1.9 ASAP,
>>>

>>how? We cannot force the Cocoon community to release Cocoon 2.1.9 if
>>Lenya 1.4.0 is ready.
>>

>ASAP = "As soon as possible"
>I was not suggesting time travel.

I wouldn't mind though :-)

Michi

>solprovider

Michael Wechner

Re: Cocoon dependencies

Posted by so...@apache.org.

Re: Cocoon dependencies

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
solprovider@apache.org wrote:

>On 12/2/05, Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com> wrote:
>

>>solprovider@apache.org wrote:
>>

>>>I agree with Andreas.  A Lenya release should use a Cocoon release.
>>>Development should use the latest official version of each dependency
>>>available at the start of development of that release.  The next
>>>release of Lenya will upgrade the dependency.  Patches and workarounds
>>>to bugs in dependencies should be tracked so they can be removed when
>>>the dependency is fixed.
>>>

>>How do you want to release Lenya 1.4.0 on Cocoon-2.1.8 if development is
>>based on Cocoon-2.1.9-dev?
>>Michi
>>

>I think the technical term is "being stuck with it."
>
>I am not certain we should hope Cocoon 2.1.9 is official before Lenya
>1.4.0 is released (because that could mean 1.4 is not ready soon.)

right, so we will be in between Cocoon-2.1.8 and Cocoon-2.1.9, which means
we will have to release it with a LCR or what else is the alternative?

>  We
>must continue with Cocoon-2.1.9-dev.  Downgrading now would probably
>cause more problems than releasing using a dev version.

why? Cocoon-2.1.8 was just released ...

>  Our
>production server is using a Cocoon-dev version, because that was the
>requirement for Lenya1.2.2.
>
>My thoughts are about future policy.  If everyone agrees, we get to
>Cocoon-2.1.9 ASAP,

how? We cannot force the Cocoon community to release Cocoon 2.1.9 if
Lenya 1.4.0 is ready.

Michi

> then only use official releases.
>
>solprovider

Re: Cocoon dependencies

Posted by so...@apache.org.
On 12/2/05, Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com> wrote:
> solprovider@apache.org wrote:
> >I agree with Andreas.  A Lenya release should use a Cocoon release.
> >Development should use the latest official version of each dependency
> >available at the start of development of that release.  The next
> >release of Lenya will upgrade the dependency.  Patches and workarounds
> >to bugs in dependencies should be tracked so they can be removed when
> >the dependency is fixed.
> How do you want to release Lenya 1.4.0 on Cocoon-2.1.8 if development is
> based on Cocoon-2.1.9-dev?
> Michi

I think the technical term is "being stuck with it."

I am not certain we should hope Cocoon 2.1.9 is official before Lenya
1.4.0 is released (because that could mean 1.4 is not ready soon.)  We
must continue with Cocoon-2.1.9-dev.  Downgrading now would probably
cause more problems than releasing using a dev version.  Our
production server is using a Cocoon-dev version, because that was the
requirement for Lenya1.2.2.

My thoughts are about future policy.  If everyone agrees, we get to
Cocoon-2.1.9 ASAP, then only use official releases.

solprovider

Re: Cocoon dependencies

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
solprovider@apache.org wrote:

>On 12/1/05, Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com> wrote:
>

>>Andreas Hartmann wrote:

>>>Yes, but I'd even exclude the LCR option. IMO a Lenya release should
>>>be based
>>>on a Cocoon release.
>>>

>>the problem is because of continuous development resp. one would have
>>to release when Cocoon is releasing.
>>I think we can provide the LCR option, but we would have to make such
>>an LCR distribution of Cocoon available at the Lenya site.
>>

>I agree with Andreas.  A Lenya release should use a Cocoon release.
>Development should use the latest official version of each dependency
>available at the start of development of that release.  The next
>release of Lenya will upgrade the dependency.  Patches and workarounds
>to bugs in dependencies should be tracked so they can be removed when
>the dependency is fixed.

How do you want to release Lenya 1.4.0 on Cocoon-2.1.8 if development is
based on Cocoon-2.1.9-dev?

Michi

Re: Cocoon dependencies

Posted by so...@apache.org.
On 12/1/05, Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com> wrote:
> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> > Michael Wechner wrote:
> >> right, whereas I think that Lenya 1.4.0 should be released based on a
> >> specific Cocoon release or a specific LCR.
> > Yes, but I'd even exclude the LCR option. IMO a Lenya release should
> > be based
> > on a Cocoon release.
> the problem is because of continuous development resp. one would have
> to release when Cocoon is releasing.
> I think we can provide the LCR option, but we would have to make such
> an LCR distribution of Cocoon available at the Lenya site.

I agree with Andreas.  A Lenya release should use a Cocoon release.
Development should use the latest official version of each dependency
available at the start of development of that release.  The next
release of Lenya will upgrade the dependency.  Patches and workarounds
to bugs in dependencies should be tracked so they can be removed when
the dependency is fixed.

We used Lenya 1.2.2 for the last project because it was the latest
release.  The production server is still using 1.2.2.  There were many
workarounds and bug fixes; many have been contributed so the next
project is easier.

We are now planning a new project on Lenya.  We will use the latest
gold release at the time the project commences.  We will contribute
our fixes, so the next project is even easier.

Use what you have.  A project that insists on using the latest
development version of all dependencies will never release anything.

solprovider

Re: Cocoon dependencies

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> Michael Wechner wrote:
>
>> Andreas Hartmann wrote:

>>> The development branch of Lenya will always depend on the development
>>> version of the stable branch of Cocoon, until this is decided
>>> otherwise.
>>> This means you'll always get the latest Cocoon bugfixes :)
>>

>> right, whereas I think that Lenya 1.4.0 should be released based on a
>> specific Cocoon release or a specific LCR.
>

> Yes, but I'd even exclude the LCR option. IMO a Lenya release should
> be based
> on a Cocoon release.

the problem is because of continuous development resp. one would have
to release when Cocoon is releasing.

I think we can provide the LCR option, but we would have to make such
an LCR distribution of Cocoon available at the Lenya site.

Similar to a Maven repository resp. using Maven ;-)

Michi

> -- Andreas

Michael Wechner

Re: Cocoon dependencies

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

Re: Cocoon dependencies

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> Andy Savin wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was just wondering if now cocoon 2.1.8 had been release lenya 1.4
>> would
>> remain using that version or if there will be continued dependencies on
>> the development version of cocoon?  Just checking to see if i
>> need to continue getting cocoon updates from svn.
>

> The development branch of Lenya will always depend on the development
> version of the stable branch of Cocoon, until this is decided otherwise.
> This means you'll always get the latest Cocoon bugfixes :)

right, whereas I think that Lenya 1.4.0 should be released based on a
specific Cocoon release or a specific LCR.

Michi

> -- Andreas

Michael Wechner

Re: Cocoon dependencies