Posted to discuss@petri.apache.org by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com> on 2020/04/25 15:39:52 UTC

Buildstream migration tasks

Hi discuss@,

As posted on buildstream-list@gnome.org [1], we'd like to begin migrating
Buildstream over to the ASF.  As mentors, Sander and I feel that the rough
priority list should be as follows:

1) Migration of the relevant mailing lists
2) Migration of the source code to ASF (including CLAs/software grants as
necessary)
3) Conducting a Buildstream release under the ASF auspices and rules
4) Migrate the website and other public documentation to ASF

Once these items are completed, I believe that Buildstream would be able to
stand on its own as a independent PMC.  Until then, we'd keep in
coordination with the Petri PMC.

GUADEC 2020 is coming up in late July, so we'd like to demonstrate progress
by then; I don't believe that we have to have everything completed by then,
but it's a good milestone to work towards.

For the lists, we'd like to avoid having to rename the lists and
infrastructure at a later date.  How does the Petri PMC feel about this?  I
know that the Incubator prefers an intermediate step of going to <podling>-
dev@incubator.apache.org ; but, for existing OSS communities trying to come
in, that'd be 2 additional changes.  So, how do we feel about going
straight to the eventual TLP domain?  We can definitely have suitable
disclaimers on the releases and websites until there is an independent PMC
stood up.

Sander and I have kicked around builds.apache.org as the eventual domain
for Buildstream as we eventually seeing it become an umbrella PMC with
other build-related projects - as such Buildstream as the TLP name might
not be ideal.  That said, there already exists a builds.apache.org for the
ASF CI tooling...so, I think that we're open to other suggestions here -
we'll also solicit feedback from the existing Buildstream community in
parallel.

Once we agree upon the domain name, we'd want to request creation of a dev@
and private@ list and then we can start on migrating traffic and begin
coordination steps 2-4 above on those mailing lists.

Cheers.  -- justin

1. https://mail.gnome.org/archives/buildstream-list/2020-April/msg00010.html

Re: Buildstream migration tasks

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Justin Erenkrantz wrote on Fri, 29 May 2020 17:15 -0400:

> > > I had reviewed this last week. I added a comment to “ping” VP, Brand.
> >
> > Mark has approved the name search.
> >

> Cool.  I've filed a JIRA to create buildstream.apache.org domain:

> Once that is completed, I'll request the creation of the mailing lists.
> (I'm an officer, so I think that I might be able to self-service request
> that; but, happy to defer that request to others if desired.)

If anything, I'd have recommended that a Buildstream community member
with less Apache experience request the mailing lists and us (= petri,
mentors, etc) simply sign off on the request — to share the workload and
transfer knowledge (in this case, knowledge of what Infra is to projects
and how to interface with them) — but I don't think the tooling supports
this.

> Have a great weekend!  -- justin

Cheers,

Daniel

Re: Buildstream migration tasks

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

Already taken; attic'd in 2016: https://continuum.apache.org/

Re: Buildstream migration tasks

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@comcast.net>.
A couple of ideas. The wife and I just binged Star Trek: TNG:

Ideas:

Apache Q
Apache Continuum
or
Apache Redbud (REproducibleDistributedBUilDs)

Best Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache#Housing:

    All people in the Apache tribe lived in one of three types of
    houses. The first of which is the teepee, for those who lived in
    the plains. Another type of housing is the [[Wigwam|wickiup]], an

Posted by Sander Striker <s....@striker.nl>.
Hi Dave,

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sander Striker <s....@striker.nl>.
wrote:

> Justin Erenkrantz wrote on Sat, 25 Apr 2020 15:39 +00:00:
> > For the lists, we'd like to avoid having to rename the lists and
> > infrastructure at a later date.  How does the Petri PMC feel about
> this?  I
> > know that the Incubator prefers an intermediate step of going to
> <podling>-
> > dev@incubator.apache.org ;
>
> The Incubator switched to dev@<podling>.incubator.apache.org and then to
> dev@<podling>.apache.org (e.g., https://nuttx.apache.org/community/).
>
> > but, for existing OSS communities trying to come
> > in, that'd be 2 additional changes.  So, how do we feel about going
> > straight to the eventual TLP domain?  We can definitely have suitable
> > disclaimers on the releases and websites until there is an independent
> PMC
> > stood up.
>
> Sounds good to me, though we might want to give trademarks@ a heads up.

FYI, I gave trademarks@ a heads-up.