Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by "Liu, Julia" <ju...@sigma-systems.com> on 2004/06/22 19:38:25 UTC

JMeter 1.9.1 bottlenecked

I start up JMeter with this option:

java -client -Xincgc -Xms1538m -Xmx1538m -jar `dirname $0`/ApacheJMeter.jar
"$@" on Solaris 8 machine, which has 2048m memory and 2x900 CPUs.

I start testing with 75 threads, CPU usage reaches 51%, then I increase
threads to 150, CPU usage remains 51%, no matter how many threads increased,
the highest CPU Usage remains the same: 51%. It looks like JMeter has
bottlenecked  some where. And also, the more threads you add, the lower the
throughput you get. Can someone explain how to fix this problem?

Thanks!
Julia

Re: JMeter 1.9.1 bottlenecked

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.
>From first hand experience, running a test with 50 threads is usually
enough to saturate the network IO.  This is with static HTML and
tomcat4/5.

one way to overcome this is to access the webserver from two different
ethernet ports. For example, my dev environment at home include 4
servers. My X1 and Linux box both have 2 ethernet cards.

one quick way to test if the network IO is the bottleneck is to use
Apache AB to stress the server. If you get similar throughput with AB,
then you know it's really network IO.

in general, the more threads you add beyond the max throughput will
start to overload the system and reduce the throughput. What I like to
do is always run a simple through put test against a given webserver
to establish the ceiling. This way, you know what the absolute maximum
is for a dynamic web application, since the static page will be the
actual max.

I hope that helps

peter