Posted to dev@quickstep.apache.org by Marc Spehlmann <sp...@apache.org> on 2017/04/20 16:03:06 UTC

[DISCUSS] Need for standard driver?

I have a PR out for a CLI which interfaces with the network over gRPC [1].
Julian recommended using a package called Avantica which wraps over a
standard JDBC+ODBC drivers and takes care the protocol.

The question I have for /dev is if we have a need right now for a standard
driver. I could see a use case being that for demoing QS and trying to find
users, it would be valuable.

Does anyone have comments about how to do interaction with QS?

--Marc

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QUICKSTEP-87

Re: [DISCUSS] Need for standard driver?

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
Long time, no talk, Marc. I should've just stayed subscribed to the list
after your last release concluded :)

FWIW, I'm hoping to rip out the transport "guts" of Avatica at some
point to be able to plug in gRPC (or similar "hot-ness"). Right now,
we're fairly well tied to Jetty server-side and commons-http client-side
for the transport.

Like Julian says, happy to entertain any discussion. Looks like I have
some context to catch up on in QS-87.

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.