Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Eric Barboni <sk...@apache.org> on 2020/05/31 12:13:52 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 12.0 [vote candidate 1]

Dear community,

This is our first voting candidate for the 12.0 LTS release of Apache
NetBeans.
Note that this is our first release vote where you are required to check
both sources and convenience binaries before voting!

See requirements below.
Apache NetBeans 12.0 constitutes all clusters in the Apache NetBeans Git
repo, which together provide the NetBeans Platform (i.e., the underlying
application framework), as well as all the modules that provide the Java SE,
Java EE, PHP, JavaScript and Groovy features of Apache NetBeans.

Build artefacts are available here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/netbeans/netbeans/12.0/vc1
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/netbeans/netbeans-platform/12.0/vc1

They were built by the Jenkins pipeline and moved to their place:
https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/NetBeans/job/netbeans-TLP/job/netbea
ns/job/release120/23

We are primarily voting on:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/netbeans/netbeans/12.0/vc1/netbeans-1
2.0-source.zip
SHA512:
f172579f4d1e5bef3631c974d232c193e40739c40dc4f6d3d0f9b746d6c7fdb90b871b327487
f39bade66840650e0d594970066ae4e0625d75d4584ecb6c1a70
./netbeans-12.0-source.zip

KEYS file:
https://downloads.apache.org/netbeans/KEYS

--

Associated to the primary source item you will have (generated with pipeline
mentioned above)

Associated Apache Maven artefacts RELEASE120 can be found at
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachenetbeans-1058

Artefacts are composed of jars,nbm,sources,javadocs,pom.

--

Apache NetBeans Git Repo tag: 12.0-vc1 :

https://github.com/apache/netbeans/tree/12.0-vc1

Release specific wiki page:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Apache+NetBeans+12.0

Before voting +1 you are required to download the signed source code
package, compile it as provided, and test the resulting executable on your
own platform, along with also verifying that the package meets the
requirements of the ASF policy on releases - see
http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#management

In particular, you should (at least) follow these steps.

1. Download the artefact to be voted on and unzip it.
2. Check that the artefact does not contain any jar files, except for:

    -
platform/autoupdate.services/test/unit/src/org/netbeans/api/autoupdate/data/
empty.jar
    - enterprise/glassfish.common/test/unit/data/nottaDir-4_1_2.jar
    - enterprise/glassfish.common/test/unit/data/subdir/nottaDir-5.0.jar
    - enterprise/payara.common/test/unit/data/nottaDir-4_1_2.jar
    - enterprise/payara.common/test/unit/data/subdir/nottaDir-5.0.jar

    which are only jars by their name

3. Verify the cryptographic signatures, the NOTICE and LICENSE file 4. Build
it using the README provided by the artefact.
5. Look in nbbuild/netbeans for the NetBeans installation created by the
build process and try running it.

In addition to checking the sources, you should check the associated
convenience binary zips and nbms at the artefact links above.
As well as checking any artefact functions correctly, you should check that
it has been correctly signed by a PMC member,
and that the source being voted on is sufficient to build the relevant
binary.
Separate votes will be held on other convenience binaries, mostly for each
installer. Those will be dependent on this vote passing.

This vote is going to be open at least 72 hours, vote with +1, 0, and -1 as
usual. (please justify -1)

Please mark your vote with (binding) if you're an Apache NetBeans PMC member
to help with voting admin.
NetBeans 12.0 will be released if and when this vote passes.

Thank all contributors for hard work !

Best Regards,
Eric

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 12.0 [vote candidate 1]

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

It does seem to work to some extent.
-jt

po 1. 6. 2020 v 15:48 odesílatel Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com.INVALID>.
On 5/31/20 7:13 AM, Eric Barboni wrote:
> This is our first voting candidate for the 12.0 LTS release of Apache
> NetBeans.
> Note that this is our first release vote where you are required to check
> both sources and convenience binaries before voting!

I noticed something out of place.

1) built from source under Linux (Debian 10 "Buster")
2) started with fresh userdir
3) created a new FX project: "FXML JavaFX Maven Archetype (Gluon)"

NetBeans wants to install "JavaFX Implementation for Mac OS X" rather
than Linux (see linked screenshot). It appears to be a cosmetic issue,
as the new project runs, debugs, and profiles normally.

https://www.lyonlabs.org/temp/fx-mac.png

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 12.0 [vote candidate 1]

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
Vote: +1

- Files of ide and platform are identical with tag 12.0-vc1 apart from expected differences (cluster config, .gitignore files ...)
- SHA512 checksums are valid
- verfied gpg signatures
- build with JDK8 + JDK11 on linux
- checked RAT
- NOTICE and LICENSE of IDE sources and binaries looks sane
- tested creating a new project on JDK 11 - nb-javac can be selected but is default off,
  JavaFX is suggested, but can be unchecked. The first step in the activation takes a lot
  of time (I assume the update centers are activated and fetched) and feels "freezy".

Thank you Eric for handling the release!

Posted by John Kostaras <jk...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Downloaded the binary and ran it on two configurations:

Oracle JDK8u221
Oracle JDK14

both on a Mac High Sierra.

Was able to specify that I did not want to install nb-javac and the JavaFX
implementation.

Tested various standalone java, platform, maven, web and JavaFX
applications. No issues. For JavaFX applications no option of using a JDK
11+; you have to use a JDK10-.

Regards,
John.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Jiří Kovalský <ji...@oracle.com>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by James Gosling <ja...@norquay.com>.
+1 (binding)
Runtime: OpenJDK Runtime Environment Corretto-11.0.6.10.1
System: Mac OS X version 10.15.5

I’ve been pushing it pretty hard for my daily work, and it’s been solid.  Nice work!

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 12.0 [vote candidate 1]

Posted by Josh Juneau <ju...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Runtime: OpenJDK Runtime Environment 11.0.5+10-LTS

System: Mac OS X version 10.14.6 running on x86_64; UTF-8; en_US (nb)

Thanks for all of the hard work!

Josh Juneau
juneau001@gmail.com
http://jj-blogger.blogspot.com
https://www.apress.com/us/search?query=Juneau
<https://www.apress.com/index.php/author/author/view/id/1866>

Posted by John Mc <mc...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com.INVALID>.

Posted by antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
+1 (binding)

- Cleaned up $HOME/.cache/netbeans/12* and $HOME/.netbeans/12*
- Checked PGP/SHA512 of source and bin files.
- Ran rat report, looks fine.
- Built with:
   - openjdk full version "1.8.0_232-b09"
   - Apache Ant(TM) version 1.10.7 compiled on September 1 2019
   - on 4.19.0-6-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.67-2+deb10u2
	(2019-11-11) x86_64 GNU/Linux
- Ran with Openjdk8, nbjavac installed correctly.
- FlatLaf Dark looks fine on Debian 10
- Opened a few gradle projects, fine.
- Installed the jVI plugin (well, of course): runs smoothly.

NOTE: Didn't test the Maven artifacts themselves, although I explored
the generated repo, looks fine to me (jar and nbm files have licenses).
Tested some nbm with md5 and pgp signatures, and these are ok.

Congratulation and thanks, all. Special thanks to our release manager
Eric Barboni for a superb job.

Kind regards,
Antonio

P.S.: The options dialog want to show up randomly after "apply". This
is a known bug, AFAIK.

Posted by Ludovic HOCHET <lh...@gmail.com>.
+1

built from netbeans-12.0-source.zip
with OpenJDK 8u252 and 11.0.7
ran with OpenJDK 14.0.1 and 15-internal+25-adhoc.Ludovic.jdk
Windows 10 2004 FR

On Sun, 31 May 2020 at 14:13, Eric Barboni <sk...@apache.org> wrote:

> [...]
> build process and try running it.
>
> In addition to checking the sources, you should check the associated
> convenience binary zips and nbms at the artefact links above.
> As well as checking any artefact functions correctly, you should check that
> it has been correctly signed by a PMC member,
> and that the source being voted on is sufficient to build the relevant
> binary.
> Separate votes will be held on other convenience binaries, mostly for each
> installer. Those will be dependent on this vote passing.
>
> This vote is going to be open at least 72 hours, vote with +1, 0, and -1 as
> usual. (please justify -1)
>
> Please mark your vote with (binding) if you're an Apache NetBeans PMC member
> to help with voting admin.
> NetBeans 12.0 will be released if and when this vote passes.

Ludovic

"Les formes qui differencient les etres importent peu
 si leur pensees s'unissent pour batir un univers..."
 Yoko Tsuno (in 'Les titans' by Roger Leloup)
 [The shapes that differenciate beings are not important
 if their thoughts unite to build a universe]

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 12.0 [vote candidate 1]

Posted by Patrick Musembi <pa...@gmail.com>.
+1
Imported a gradle project well on java 14 in ubuntu 20.04.
Congratulations to everyone and also to Eric our release manager.

Posted by Junichi Yamamoto <ju...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by ehsavoie <em...@gmail.com>.
Vote: +1 (binding)
----------
Emmanuel Hugonnet
http://www.ehsavoie.com
http://twitter.com/ehsavoie

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Checked:

- SHA512 checksums: Ok
- GPG Signatures: Ok
- Built the IDE and just the platform from source with OpenJDK 8 on
Ubuntu: Ok
- Checked RAT: Ok
- Tested loading and build a Gradle project: Ok
- Tested the Snap package on alpha channel in the Snapstore: Ok