Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by rk...@charter.net on 2013/04/29 21:28:36 UTC

Gap in logs?

I see a startup error in the
/var/log/hadoop-hdfs/hadoop-hdfs-namenode-<host>.log

2013-04-29 14:12:36,095 FATAL
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode: Exception in namenode
join
java.io.IOException: There appears to be a gap in the edit log.  We
expected txid 1, but got txid 2103.
         at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.MetaRecoveryContext.editLogLoaderPrompt(MetaRecoveryContext.java:94)

. . . .

Apparently this is severe enough that it causes the name node not to
start up. Any ideas on how to recover? I am tempted to just remove all
of the log files and start from scratch. Is that too drastic?